The mkiv Supra Owners Club

practical/experience: which model to go for

Guest balloo

The NA can have just as much reliability problems as a TT. Mine had ignition problems at some point and rotten brakelines. Sure the brakelines are an common problem but you won't expect it at 100k km and stored in a dry place.

However it is my first car and I've never driven anything which is faster so maybe I don't know what I'm missing but I think it's a great car. Mine is manual and it is simply great fun cruising about on a hot summersday (whenever they may occur in Holland or England for that matter).

No turbo related issues with my car and that had been at

400 hp for over 70,000 miles, it's now done 137,000 miles

and runs like a dream.

If you get a tt that's been looked after and carry on looking

after it it'll go on for a long time.

The trouble here is if it's been miss treated by a previous

owner/s, it might not show up for a while and is very hard

to tell, there are UK specs running the original turbos well

into 150,000 + miles and one i've heard of is over 200,000

The NA will still have lots of the same problems a tt will have,

heater matrix & radiators fall apart with age, brake lines and

calipers will be on the verge of needing replacing, suspension

arms and dampers etc etc.

I spent more on replacing the suspension arms than most

NA's sell for so bare that in mind, a supra is not a cheap car

to keep on the rd these days unless you run it via ebay or

the breakers yards

Whatever you buy it will be between 11 and 20 years old !!!

Exactly!

You'll hear a lot of bollo**s about how an n/a isn't a proper supra, or a manual is so much better than an auto. Try not to listen ;)

If you're the type that intends to pull up to a set of lights and have a go at smokin whatever's beside you, then you probably want a tt (either manual or auto).

If you're the type that intends to slide it round the local roundabouts after dark, then you probably want a manual (either n/a or tt).

If you're the type that likes how a supra looks, but aren't particularly worried about sliding or hitting warp speed, then you probably want an n/a (either manual or auto).

As far as reliability goes, as Dunk says, a well looked after car is obviously going to give you far fewer issues. There's probably not much in it in terms of reliability between n/a and tt, however the cost when something goes wrong is potentially higher for a tt. The other costs (insurance, running/fuelling, even purchase price these days) are pretty close too.

I've had my (n/a auto) for near 7 years and I drive it daily, I've put 100k on the clock, I look after it well in terms of servicing and it's easily the best car I've ever owned. I still look lovingly over my shoulder at it when walking away in the carpark too lol. There aren't many cars out there that can still make you do that after 7 years. I'm not into racing or sliding, but I've done plenty of car shows in it, and I've never been disappointed with the fact that it's n/a or that it's an auto. So...basically it's all down to what you want from the car.

Its all down to personal taste and both need to driven in na form man/auto and TT form man/auto. Im one of few who have owned and driven basically every setup possible for a supra. I personally dislike the manuals especially if they have a aftermarket clutch- they are noisy and drive horrible- the ones i have been in.

I like the auto, it does everything i want it to, i dont drift or do anything stupid on the roads but when i want to give is some i can just put my foot down and off comes my head lol (big single) now big twins but not drove yet!

My na auto was faultless and very good on juice. Na's do get stick but they do fall into peoples budgets better and still a great reliable car.... its STILL a supra