The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Had a little accident

lightwave

Have to say that looks easily repairable to me. That must be still driveable surely...?

If they are writing that off I would guess that's probably due to the low figure you've been using, but then you run into accusations of undervaluing your car. Needs some more knowledgeable people to comment.

Cheers Dave. By 'drivable', I can tell you it drives (the police let me drive it home) but I wouldn't drive it on the road as it is.

There's nothing dangling off underneath. Nothing's catching, nothing scrapes or rubs. The wheels move freely, the engine sounds fine, but the front is a little knocked, the bonnet isn't totally secure and I've only got the use of one headlamp. Fairly self-explanatory.

Have to say that looks easily repairable to me. That must be still driveable surely...?

If they are writing that off I would guess that's probably due to the low figure you've been using, but then you run into accusations of undervaluing your car. Needs some more knowledgeable people to comment.

agreed, may be repairing it at your own cost is the way to go - must be some people with stock bonnets about, few people recently changing to the top secret copies etc. Is there any internal damage to rad etc, or is all just body work?

If you do decide to repair it yourself, sort the value on your insurance out too :thumbs:

My insurers explained it to me this way:

If the assessor considers the car a write off, then it goes on a national register of written off (unroadworthy) vehicles. Then, it becomes their car, not mine and I have to send them my paperwork.

I assume, because she didn't tell me this, they then off me a payment for my car (which I've been told I can expect to be LOW). I can haggle and try and prove the car is worth more with proof, and I'll probably get more money, but still not a lot. I can expect maybe £3000 or so at a guess.

Then, she told me they will offer me a price at which I could buy back the car if I wanted to. I can then spend my own money on having it repaired and then it'll need a new MOT to prove the repairs are roadworthy again.

It seems like a lot of hassle if it's going to be touch-and-go whether I get the money I need or not. I'd rather just pay now to repair it myself and withdraw my claim.

The 206 I hit will still claim against my insurance, and it was my fault so I'll lose my no claims, but won't pay excess. That's certain.

Lucky I didn't get slapped with "driving with undue care and attention" or any points or a fine.

The front wing on the drivers side is pushed back a small amount. The door can't open more than about 2 inches as a result. The radiator mounts are bent, and the semi-circular cowel covering the radiator fan is broken off, but that's just a lump of plastic.

Otherwise, things are as bent as you'd expect AFAIK. Just that pathetic flimsy metal bar bit running along the front is bent a bit... everything can be yanked back into place.

Joy of joys.

Ok, final update this afternoon I think...

Since I phoned the insurance company this morning to spur them on, the assessors have just phoned me to say they'll be down to look at the car tommorrow.

I phoned my mate at the body shop, and asked if it's likely to be written off. He said it's borderline, but if that's what they want to do, then instead of allow that to happen, they'll agree a lower contract with the insurance company to repair my car, and do the work for less.

This is apparently how body shops end up losing so much money from insurance work, and I'll end up having to source second hand parts or buying the parts myself. Either way it's going to be better than having the car taken off me. He agrees, so he said he'll agree a price tomorrow if it comes to it.

Sorry to hear about this mate, :thumbdown

Mine was rear ended in June (http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=41243) & I picked it up today from the bodyshop all nice & new. I was originally told it was being written off with a quote of £4300, but luckily had it insured (through Sky) at £12000, so when I pointed this out they said "oh well it will be repaired then"

Lots of the cost was due to needing chassis jigs etc, as all the bodykit had to come off, so lots of labour hours. From the sound of it yours would be about the same to fix.

Incidently the assessor who looked at mine said that to find a good one with some decent mods meant that the car was definately worth the 12k (in his opinion - he looked on Autotrader, but was not swayed with cheap nasty examples)

Hope you can arrange to get it repaired or bought off them and back in tip-top condition soon. (I'm gutted I've missed the nearly the entire summer)

J

• 2 weeks later...