The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT question, welding

Swampy442

Is there a regulation that says metalwork on cars has to be welded? Im getting a car that needs a bit of plating in the spare wheel well and the rearmost panel on the car, where the rear lights attach.

I work in an aircraft structures bay and have access to all manner of sealants and bonding agents, could I simply bond a patch repair on?

Can't see it, can't fail it. If it's solid and covered in seam sealer, you have to assume it's welded.

Although if it's structural, might just be worth welding it up.

Where it was seam welded originally, it must be seam welded, spot welds can be spot welded but patches must be seam welded all the way around.

Gas brazing, soldering, adhesive bonding, fibre reinforcement and body filler are bonding processes and are not regarded as strong enough for repairs to load bearing members although they are normally adequate for other repair work. It is accepted that it is sometimes difficult to identify the repair method after the repair has been covered in paint or underseal. If the method of repair is in doubt the tester should pass and advise.

I have welded all my tin in the past and left it bare for the MOT tester to see then sealed and painted it afterwards. Saying that I have a mate who is a garage owner and an MOT tester and above is from the MOT guide lines.