The mkiv Supra Owners Club

definitive boost leak tester

Lude

i still havent sorted the boost leak i have on my car, has been in garage over the winter.

the car has new gaskets now, on the parts i took off (intake manifold, throttle body, IAC )

im going to get the car out soon and resolve this once and for all lol, just want verification on doing the boost leak test.

is it:

remove the air filter, put a empty tin can where it used to be with a valve for the compressor to attach to, (air tight)

leave the compressor ON, at around 15PSI, then spray with soapy water over the engine bay.

will that actually build up pressure though? or will the just escape out the exhaust?

what about the throttle, does that need to be manually left open?

i tried to do this last year, but couldnt seem to find any noise or leaks, the boost gauge read to around 7PSI and that was it?

for those who dont know or forgot, the car sounds like this, but boosts fine...

Edited by Lude (see edit history)

not the turbo no. i thaught may have been, so i sent it off and had it refurbished (£500 waste of money lol)

the car drives perfect and boosts, the noise has to be this surely, the sound is a whistle, which is air coming from somewhere, im not concerned about the boost gauge, its the sound that getting on my nerves..

Bearing in mind you've had this problem for almost a year? I think you should get someone to look at it. CW is in Shropshire. Or, give Craig (Dr J) a message, and get him to have a look. If you haven't worked it out by now, I don't think you will mate tbh.