The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clutch Problem...

black_widow87

Right guys, I seem to be having a problem with my clutch set-up. Approximatly 12 months ago i had a Competition stage 4 clutch fitted and since then the car has been driven regularly with no problems. Roughly 2 weeks ago, just before christmas the clutch pull collar (pic below) had snapped which i initally thought would be down to genreral wear an tear, so i had it replaced with a brand new part from Toyota. 1 week has passed and the same part has failed again! What is causing this part to fail? I think im right in saying that either the pressure plate is at fault or an unworthy pull collar? Are there any ways of testing pressure on the pressure plate?

Any other thoughts welcome... :)

clutch pull collar.jpg

The pressure plate spring is too stiff for the circlip groove nose depth on the bearing carrier. The pull tension is so great it's pulling the metal land of with the circlip. That or something is going solid and you keep on pressing the pedal until something gives, (the bearing carrier in this case). This is why most high clamping force aftermarket clutches are push type...

If it's assembled correctly and has a stock master and slave cylinder, I cannot think of what else could cause the circlip groove ring land to pull off other than the clutch spring is so strong as to over stress the component. Personally I think most US clutches are pretty naff. But if others have never had this issue I guess there might be something else wrong. Are you sure it was all assembled correctly??? Maybe refer to the factory manual that shows how the washers should be loaded along with the release bearing?

The CC stage 4 clutch is silly stiff if you haven't experienced using one. I have never felt anything like it. I had lower back ache on my right side for 3 days after I had one fitted (the muscle that is linked with the left leg)

I know that CC advise that you fit there flywheel aswell at the same time. But my advise is stay away from Competition Clutch...

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

I think Malcolm has given you the answer, as one who has had to go into some depth as to leverage ratios and diaphragm spring design in stock type pull clutches I can say with authority if the clutch pedal is really that heavy the loads on the bearing assembly and clutch fork will be insane. Bin it and buy a proper clutch.

The CC stage 4 clutch is silly stiff if you haven't experienced using one. I have never felt anything like it. I had lower back ache on my right side for 3 days after I had one fitted (the muscle that is linked with the left leg)

I know that CC advise that you fit there flywheel aswell at the same time. But my advise is stay away from Competition Clutch...

Have only had mine in for about 1000 miles, but I can't disagree more, only feels slightly heavier than stock, and I mean slightly. I've had 2 ops on my left knee, it's inherently weak, and I have no trouble at all and that's with the stock flywheel.

Have only had mine in for about 1000 miles' date=' but I can't disagree more, only feels slightly heavier than stock, and I mean slightly. I've had 2 ops on my left knee, it's inherently weak, and I have no trouble at all and that's with the stock flywheel.[/quote']

You must have the odd lucky one then I have had 2 of those wretched things and both times it was silly stiff like REALLY stiff.. Anyone that I let have push was like "bloody hell that's horrible"

My RPS triple plate is slightly heavier than stock and one of the softest uprated clutchs you and pretty much get. Pedal Press: Stock + 10%

You have have a low pressure plate in yours that supports around 450BHP.. I maybe wrong but I'm only speaking on experiences

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)

Have only had mine in for about 1000 miles' date=' but I can't disagree more, only feels slightly heavier than stock, and I mean slightly. I've had 2 ops on my left knee, it's inherently weak, and I have no trouble at all and that's with the stock flywheel.[/quote']

I've had mine for around a year now, and never had a problem. As hackin says, feels only slightly heavier than stock to me, and I didn't even have problems when my cruciate ligament went in my left knee.

To be fair A98pmalcolm is the only person I have noticed ever complaining about them. Not to say he didn't have bad experiences using them, but more people seem to not have problems.

My competitionr clutch has started slipping on low revs so am changing to an RPS triple carbon soon. I,ll be glad to get rid of the comp which juddered in reverse from the off, hated traffic jams and the gentle pull in to the uphill drive. It,so got the lightened flywheel which I won 't know the conditions of until it's out. This has managed less than 20k miles and even if it's a pedal setting issue (bite is right at the top), it was just the excuse to remove this annoying lump. The pedal is about 20pc more than stock and if you need it for parts, it's available in 2/3 weeks.

My competitionr clutch has started slipping on low revs so am changing to an RPS triple carbon soon. I,ll be glad to get rid of the comp which juddered in reverse from the off, hated traffic jams and the gentle pull in to the uphill drive. It,so got the lightened flywheel which I won 't know the conditions of until it's out. This has managed less than 20k miles and even if it's a pedal setting issue (bite is right at the top), it was just the excuse to remove this annoying lump. The pedal is about 20pc more than stock and if you need it for parts, it's available in 2/3 weeks.

Cheers bud, I may be in touch soon. :)

Guest Budz86

I did a bit of reading on these before deciding on an OEM clutch and flywheel because the CC ones had a terrible reputation for going wrong. I know they have guarantees but didn't fancy the bill to constantly pull the box and find out what the problem was!

Guest Budz86

Tbh they are quite a new company and with so any documented faults, the money you might save initially (which isn't vast) will quickly swallowed up fixing faults. Best to go for something tried and tested. CW for BPU's and RPS, Greedy or OS Geiken for singles.