The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mkiv Golf clutch problem

Guest Budz86

Evening all, got a problem with the other half's 1.6 '04 plate Golf and wondered if anyone had any suggestions as to what it might be.

She was driving along in 3rd gear and the pedal stuck to the floor. She coasted to the side of the road and stalled the car as she couldn't select any gears adn it was stuck in 3rd. The pedal was able to be pulled up with by hand but when pressed again, stuck to the floor and this was repeated a few times as she was still not able to select gears. She killed the ignition and called me. When I got there I pulled the pedal up with the ignition off and it felt spring loaded again, and moved up and down as it should but wasn't moving its full travel and felt heavier than normal. I also pulled it out of third quite easily and I could move the gear stick into all the gears freely, including reverse with the engine off. When I started the car, the pedal was up and it went rock solid with about a quarter inch of play up and down. Tried to put it into reverse (the supe was parked in front of it and I wasn't taking any chances with cracking my front bumper!) and got that horrible crunching sound you get if you're driving along and try to change gears without the clutch being fully depressed. At this point I turned the engine off again and went home!

Any ideas what this could be? I'm thinking the release bearing or the master cylinder? More swayed towards the bearing though as if the cylinder had gone surely the pedal would be all floppy?

Any help or ideas appreciated guys!

Thanks

Evening all, got a problem with the other half's 1.6 '04 plate Golf and wondered if anyone had any suggestions as to what it might be.

She was driving along in 3rd gear and the pedal stuck to the floor. She coasted to the side of the road and stalled the car as she couldn't select any gears adn it was stuck in 3rd. The pedal was able to be pulled up with by hand but when pressed again, stuck to the floor and this was repeated a few times as she was still not able to select gears. She killed the ignition and called me. When I got there I pulled the pedal up with the ignition off and it felt spring loaded again, and moved up and down as it should but wasn't moving its full travel and felt heavier than normal. I also pulled it out of third quite easily and I could move the gear stick into all the gears freely, including reverse with the engine off. When I started the car, the pedal was up and it went rock solid with about a quarter inch of play up and down. Tried to put it into reverse (the supe was parked in front of it and I wasn't taking any chances with cracking my front bumper!) and got that horrible crunching sound you get if you're driving along and try to change gears without the clutch being fully depressed. At this point I turned the engine off again and went home!

Any ideas what this could be? I'm thinking the release bearing or the master cylinder? More swayed towards the bearing though as if the cylinder had gone surely the pedal would be all floppy?

Any help or ideas appreciated guys!

Thanks

Theres the problem mate! :p

sorry guys, forgot to update as I've been hungover all weekend! Turns out the garage think its the release bearing push rod. it has a small plate on the end but the rod has gone through the plate! Box out job to change as the rod goes through most of the box/clutch so might as well change the clutch while it's all out.

Thanks for the help though, hopefully this will all be sorted in a day....as long as the diagnosis is right!