The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU Mpg

hadyn

im worried by this, i get about 230 - 280 for £65 all makes of fuel. im still stock. do i need a new o2 sensor ?

also what the view on optimax is it worth it? and what about bp ultimate?

oh varied driving mainly moterways at 100. push it quite a lot though on normal roads

You know what? I'm going to make a cd of the second turbo sound and listen to it while doing below 4k:limp:
:lol: Like the sound of that. What you save on fuel you'll pay for a little man to shove you hard in the chest at every island/traffic lights.

I get 19mpg out of mine

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...
He may have been a slower driver than you lol ;)

He was in London so may have been out of necessity

I'm replacing the fuel filter, two new tires and aligning so hopefully that improves things. Seem to have a slight misfire at warm idle

I get 22-24mpg on a mix of in town and dual carriageway 70ish stuff. Replaced the O2 sensor and made my money back in 3 months, it was a bit shocking before doing that. Also worth checking to see if you have a sticky brake, that does affect your ability to go anywhere with reasonable mpg...

I just had the NA/T conversion running one bar boost and with the hammer down 17mpg, with just running about getting 20 mpg. prior to the NA/T was getting 20mpg no matter how i drove the car. Very happy though as the performance is very fast and smooth just as you want it. Herbie.

hmmm, something must be amiss. time for a techhelp thread I think.

Like I know my MPG isn't a disaster but a few niggles I have are making me paranoid that something is amiss with the car. I don't hoon it around everywhere, it's my daily drive now so at work every one or two trips it gets a 5 second blast up a dual carriageway when it's warmed up which I doubt would kill my MPG too much over the course of 90miles say

Thanks for the input, gives me an idea of what I should be getting!

Yeah its not something you'd want to know with a Supra but i'm just worried something is wrong :( seems the average turbo mpg is 20-22mpg for urban driving though and about 24-28 on motorways

For mine it was one o2 sensor as its a facelift vvti one. I think for yours it'd be two sensor upstream/downstream. Easy enough to replace if the nuts aren't too rusty on it.Just takes some wrist limbo

My J-spec non-vvti only takes one o2 sensor, think it's just the UK's that need two (could be wrong...). There are non-oem sensors that will fit and are much cheaper, you need an adapter plate for them though. I changed mine myself using a reasonably fresh 2nd hand part. The threads can be properly tight and it's a little awkward to get to but not a terrible job. About 20-30 mins if not seized solid.

Before doing that though, jack it up and try spinning each wheel. See if you've got a brake that's stuck. Unsticking that will massively improve things if it's the cause. I was getting 8mpg with a stuck rear, got so hot you could smell it but it was pretty bad.