The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BP Ultimate vs Optimax

geoffvalenti

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supermarkets tend to buy from mainstream companies. That said, they will also tend to go for whoever is cheapest at the time... they don't sign upto any long term contracts with any particular company so they are free to buy from whoever; wether it be shell, BP, Total, Texaco etc. etc.

One week you may find Shell 95Ron in their pumps, another week you may find BP 95Ron in there. Usually it something like, Texaco or Total in our area.

Supermarkets tend to buy from mainstream companies. That said, they will also tend to go for whoever is cheapest at the time... they don't sign upto any long term contracts with any particular company so they are free to buy from whoever; wether it be shell, BP, Total, Texaco etc. etc.

One week you may find Shell 95Ron in their pumps, another week you may find BP 95Ron in there. Usually it something like, Texaco or Total in our area.

good to know. :thanks:

If you can't afford to run the car, then why not get something smaller?

Easy. One of the main gripes from EVERYONE on this board is the exhorbitant price of petrol. :swear: I just want to find out if the more expensive stuff is really worth it, that's all.

Even stock JSpecs are unhappy with 95RON unleaded, a BPU would be pulling back timing every time you are over a few psi boost. This will hurt fuel consumption and if you insist on pressing the pedal hard it will lead it to overheat as well (I assume that "BPU" means it is running higher boost, right?)

OK I will give it a go for a month and see what conclusions I can draw. As for supermarkets and outlets with a lesser image like Elf etc, they all draw their fuel from the same big petrol pump in the sky. There are only a few petrol wholesalers in the UK, and it is all pretty much the same stuff whereever you go. I know this cos my girlfriend is in the petrol pump biz.

You don't see them around much anymore but Q8 do 98 RON stuff too. I was lost out in the wilds of deepest Essex a few months back with the fuel light on and was rescued by a lowly Q8 station. Couldn't believe it when I saw 98 RON Super-Glug-O-Matic at the pumps. Q8 stations were quite common a few years back but they seem to have largely disappeared now, but that's another company who are doing higher-spec fuel (but oddly not shouting about it).

Q8 have de-branded themselves and converted to other names. It's a strange situation - the stations are still owned by the Kuwait Oil holding company and they put in the cash and take out the profit, but they pay to licence other brand names (BP, Jet etc) and put those on the stations as they are well known! :looney:

I think it's to do with "Kuwait" being a bit of a negative market influence at the mo.

-Ian

Guest chiefvinso
Can someone please give me a more 'scientific' reason why I should buy more expensive petrol than normal unleaded? Saying "smoother delivery of power" and "uptake much quicker" doesn't do much for me. I always thought it was a con by the oil companies to get you to spend more on something that is essentially the same just by rebadging it. I have been running normal unleaded for a year, and I am quite happy. Petrol is petrol, my car goes fast, it does not judder or make funny noises and it has not blown up. Or am I missing something?

The jap spec cars were designed to run on 100+ octane so effectively running on 95 should cause some kind of pinking or detonation (maybe its not noticeable) which is not good. A knock sensor will give you a better idea I think. Unless you get an ecu to run uk fuel or maybe yours is already changed and remapped. It would be good to see what the crowns of your pistons look like.

Personally I havent notive better fuel economy whilst driving my previous mr2 turbo on the higher octane stuff but then again I only used 95 fuel if I was stuck. I would rather be safe than sorry.

got some Supra manual...mentioned that the Octane can go lower than 95RON... top of my head I think it said 91 or 93??? Eitherway, I haven't noticed much difference using Shell or BP's higher octane than standard 95.

Hey...my Lawn Mower goes like S**t off a shovel though!!! :)

Guest chiefvinso
got some Supra manual...mentioned that the Octane can go lower than 95RON... top of my head I think it said 91 or 93??? Eitherway, I haven't noticed much difference using Shell or BP's higher octane than standard 95.

Hey...my Lawn Mower goes like S**t off a shovel though!!! :)

Is yours a UK spec Egon?

no chiefvinso, it's a Jap Auto TT...

JohnA: The manual I read may also be talking about the lower octane being our equivalent... either way, our 95 RON works fine... I admit not to see any difference yet. I'll have a few more trials. Have been thinking that even if the higher RON costs slightly more... it's meant to be more efficient on the engine, etc... so you may get more miles anyway??? If this is the case, cost will work out about the same per mile, but a better treated engine?

Guest chiefvinso
no chiefvinso, it's a Jap Auto TT...

JohnA: The manual I read may also be talking about the lower octane being our equivalent... either way, our 95 RON works fine... I admit not to see any difference yet. I'll have a few more trials. Have been thinking that even if the higher RON costs slightly more... it's meant to be more efficient on the engine, etc... so you may get more miles anyway??? If this is the case, cost will work out about the same per mile, but a better treated engine?

Egon, AFAIK the higher octane rating will help protect against detonation which is not good and could be happening without your knowledge. I'm sure more of the techy guys or a search on the forum here and maybe that will give more info but I would rather be safe than buying new pistons etc.. :thumbdown

I've seen dyno charts of a supra with normal and SUL, they were in the Ozzie or NewZealand site I think.

They showed a difference of a few bhp, not a lot though.

The problem with such 'back to back' tests is that they are not fair comparisons. To do it properly you'd want to reset the ECU before each tankful is used, and run the car for 100-150 varied miles before doing the RR test.

The JSpec and UKSpec would have to be done separately, too, same as the VVTis --- not to mention BPUs.

Don't hold your breath for such a comparison.

'looking for detonation' is easier said than done.

You can hook up all the microphones you like, do all the filtering in the world with the stock sensor output, if you're unlucky you'll still break something before you 'hear' it, or most likely you'll be getting false alarms from spurious noise spikes.

The SAFC-II claims to have such a filtering 'facility' and help you listen to the stock knock sensors --- I've ordered one through eBay, we'll see if this bold feature works at all. I'm not holding my breath though.

As for the back-to-back tests, my guess is that the ECU will probably have retarded ignition long before you've heard something dodgy. These are very protective ECUs, how else could they survive the abuse from the 'BPU' crowd?

Holes in the pistons are far more common in the Scooby world for example...

I trust the RON figures at the pump Digsy mate --- 99RON is good enough (filled again today, it was 1p/lt less than Tesco's diesel price at the adjucent pump, lol...)

If I'm lost in the wilderness (north of Luton or whatever...) I might then consider Optimax :taped:

Guest chiefvinso
Just in case the Optimax RON controversy is still smouldering away somewhere, I've just learned that these people will analyse a sample for you for about £70. :)

I'm sure it is still smouldering, i've seen non shell garages in some areas not showing the ron rating of their sul so it probably means its

...garages in some areas not showing the ron rating of their sul so it probably means its

Why do you say that? It's wrong.

They do not have to display RON or MON values.

Check the BS figure though, that will show if it is a minimum of 95 or 97RON

Guest chiefvinso
Why do you say that? It's wrong.

They do not have to display RON or MON values.

Check the BS figure though, that will show if it is a minimum of 95 or 97RON

Yeah I know, its just one of these things that have been going on about how shell are marketing a product :blahblah: :blahblah: I'm just jesting. :)