The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spark Plug Faliure?

mk2john

For reference, I have a MKII Supra with a J-Spec 2JZ TT fitted and mods as per my garage, with the standard ECU that came with the loom.

I recently had the car in the body shop for a new bonnet to be fitted. Car ran fine when I took it in then I get a call to ask if there is a trick to getting it started, there is no trick, just turn the key.

Anywho, I assume it has run out of fuel and toddle off to collect it, put a can of super unleaded in and it will not fire. Engine turns over, fuel pump (Bosch 044) is going and I can smell the fuel so assume it is getting no spark. There also seems to be a problem with the Greddy turbo timer which has a red screen and will not turn off unless the battery is disconnected (seemed fine once it had been disconnected and reset). On looking in the boot I find that as the battery terminal was a bit loose the fitter has loosened off the clamp, jammed a screw between the clamp and the terminal and then tightened up the clamp until it snapped :blink: (cheers!). Still getting power from it though.

As I could not leave it in the workshop, I had it recovered to my local garage who after investigation tell me there is a blown engine management fuse and all 6 spark plugs (HKS Irridium) have failed at the same time. They replaced the fuse and the plugs and I replaced the battery clamp, and it is now running fine again.

Has anyone encountered this on a 2J before, or have a theory on what may have happened to cause this? I would not like it to happen again and if it is indicative of an underlying fault I would like to get it fixed asap rather than assume that because it is running it is all fine.

I have searched but can not seem to find this on here as as a thread...

Thanks for reading and for any thoughts! :)

Thanks for the thoughts all,

Turbo timer has always seemed to be a bit on the redundant side so may well get rid of it, Garage did not tell me which fuse went (suppose I should of asked really but was just glad to hear it running) but the car was stood in the bodyshop over the weekend and was taken to the garage on a transporter so I would have thought the plugs would have dried out? Garage tried it with the original plugs after replacing the fuse and it would not go so they replaced all the plugs and it fired first time. They told me all the plugs were shot but I suppose you never know, oddly enough it seems to be running smoother with the new plugs and they are just standard NGK jobbies, although having read the spark plug thread on here I may not bother with going for HKS ones again and just stick to something a bit cheaper from one of the regular brands.

Also cheers Dnk for the link, I will pick up some shiney new plugs from there!

Thanks again :)

Edited by mk2john (see edit history)

Like others have said, I suspect the plugs just got wet with fuel... could possibly have taken them out and dried them off... cleaning them gently with a wire brush, and resetting the gaps with a set of feelup (sorry... feeler) gauges.

Did they give you back the old plugs?

Still, at least it's fixed now I guess!