Spun the Supra this morning!!!

Burna

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:hijack:

just looking at your pics....very nice looking car...going to debadge mine soon......how did you find the best way to do this was??

Its just a stock soop with facelift lights but thanks anyway. :p

Giving it to the bodyshop was the best way, they filled the little holes where the badge used to bei cant remember whether they welded them or filled them, and re sprayed it.

When i have some money i am going to have the brake light removed as well.

I also think that the sequential turbos set up is responsible for catching a lot of people out. I really didn't feel confident when I first got my car and would accelerate out of a corner and then oh shhhh***ttt the 2nd turbo suddenly kicks in when you are not expecting it.

I've had mine set up and mapped to run the turbos in parallel for the last 5-6 years, the power curve is far smoother and the power delivery more controllable/pedictable.

I have had three supras and all worked well in the wet... Given tha added caution needed. May well have been a surface problem like you say. Even when they do tail out, they are not usually a problem to bring back.... even from nasty drifts. Unlike MR2's .......Urrgghhhh 60mph tail whip gave me 4 spins once :complain:

I also think that the sequential turbos set up is responsible for catching a lot of people out. I really didn't feel confident when I first got my car and would accelerate out of a corner and then oh shhhh***ttt the 2nd turbo suddenly kicks in when you are not expecting it.

Yep that's one reason why I went single... :thumbs:

Bet it woke you up though mate!! i've had it sideways once which i put down to somethin on the road - weren't goin fast at all, was on the exit of a smallish roundabout, foot was only very slightly on the accelerator holdin it steady (so wasn't drivetrain tension related), next thing i knew i was about 60 degrees round and was facin the side of a tanker which was on the inside lane!! mate (girl) in the car thought the best thing to do in that situation was to grab my hands when i was tryin to steer out of it!

ironically, i was runnin TTC at that time too..... can't see how that would have anythin to do with it because i was only just over 1500rpm!

you put your foot on the brake when you lost the back end?

No mate just had to go with it until it straightened out facing the wrong way, then applied brake to stop myself rolling backwards towards the ring road. Gave it some throttle then to spin me back facing the right direction before any traffic came following me round the corner. It certainly woke me up this morining I can tell ya!

Glad all is ok, gave me a real scare when I did a 180 degree spin on the main kidderminster Island by the old rover garage a few months ago

:p

Thanks Martin, and I'm no longer coming to the meet now on Sunday as your story of spinning sounds far more exciting than mine :p

you put your foot on the brake when you lost the back end?

It's not the right thing to do we all know but it takes great presence of mind to NOT go for the brake when something goes wrong. As soon as anything like this happens I just wanna stop quickly so the tendency is always to plonk your foot onto the brake. It's like when you have a blowout and you're meant to ease off the throttle and let the car gentle roll to a stop - fine in practice, but when there's an almighty bang and the car starts wobbling around you just wanna stop fast so you press the brake pedal!

It's like when you have a blowout and you're meant to ease off the throttle and let the car gentle roll to a stop - fine in practice, but when there's an almighty bang and the car starts wobbling around you just wanna stop fast so you press the brake pedal!

or like what happened to me in my last car when the left front went at 80 in the twisties and the car hooked itself towards a tree - hit the brakes pretty hard then before bein able to steer at all!

I spun it out a few weeks back and lost a new Eagle F1 for it too, after picking up some diesel from a gas station.

Is it better to straighten out with more power and compensation at the steer... that way the rear would maintain its momentum instead of flicking back round and causing a spin? I totally appreciate what went through your mind at the time tough - it takes buns of steel to go for the loud pedal instead of the brake.

Perhaps this experience does us all some good, to know the limits of our cars.

Group RWD skidpan training anyone? Is this sort of thing available to us anywhere?

I took the journey to work very delicately this morning. Never got much above 1500rpm. Only had the trac light come on once and that was going up a hill in Morley where I kenw I could spin the wheels and did so deliberatley, with a clear road ahead and behind. Just wanted to see what the power loss was like. Not too bad TBH.

Remember, wet roads are an excuse to save petrol.

every ones saying they shit there pants when it steps out, ok this is true when your not expecting it, come on rwd 300 + bhp, not expecting it! arnt we all trying to do it, and control it???. :blahblah: ive almost lost it twice, once trying to be a drift king and the second on a shallow curve on motorway exit ramp. which was too fast

youve got to admit, we must all have a fright and then a, " oh yeah baby it almost went"............ oh theres so much power, i love it................... :love:

tt steve.

Group RWD skidpan training anyone? Is this sort of thing available to us anywhere

Castle Combe. TIF organized one last year and they have another in September. 80 quid each and you need twelve people to book the course for your exclusive use (plus they tailor the course to the appropriate type of car, i.e. RWD).

Castle Combe. TIF organized one last year and they have another in September. 80 quid each and you need twelve people to book the course for your exclusive use (plus they tailor the course to the appropriate type of car, i.e. RWD).

Sounds alright for £80, might be interested in that.

Got anymore details?

I only ever lost my car once. it was my NA without traction control and it was on Silverstone circuit. I basically accelerated too much for a corner and didn't lift off til it was too late. I could feel it was going to go so I let it spin 180 before I did anything and just held it straight and slid it backwards onto the grass and waited until it stopped waving at all the people that were now passing me on the track :( I've had the back end snake a bit in my TT but nothing I couldn't handle.

come on rwd 300 + bhp, not expecting it! tt steve.

yep if you're drivin in a manner where you know the back might go then yeah, but if you hit diesel then it is very unexpected how easily the car is lost - ask Skyjawa! i love lettin the back slide everywhere, but no matter what car you're in, diesel is a death trap