The mkiv Supra Owners Club

4WD Supra

Dnk

I used to own a Ferguson Formula (yes, the tractor people), four wheel drive Ford Zephyr. they made several for the police to test, as well as some triumph 2.5 PI ones. They cast a special sump with a diff in it 9way before Nissan did with the Skyline) and used Ford mustang double wishbone front suspension so the drive shafts could enter bespoke hubs. The gearbox was a Ford auto with a bespoke tailhshaft housing with a transfer case cast in, again like a Skyline. It also had Dunlop maxaret anti lock brakes, the first on a road car after a one off Ferguson four wheel drive experimental car with fibreglass bodywork, to test the hardware in. The floor pan was cut and shut to miss the transfer box. I was short of money and flogged it as it kept blowing head gasket, i changed them about six times, but in hindsight the block was warped. I wish i had it now, it was a splendid thing that handled really well fro a big heavy barge, and was awesome in the snow. What became of these cars i don't know, I might have a Google sometime. So yes, it could be done, but would involve custom front suspension, floor pan mods and a bespoke sump, which would perhaps be cheaper fabricated than cast if it was a one off. Would be a lot easier just to buy a Skyline or an Audi.... ;) The technology Ferguson andDunlop developed was fully productionised later, in the four wheel drive Jensen FF Interceptor.

Popular Science November 1969 Article may be of interest Chris!

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=NyoDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA76&dq=ford+zephyr+ferguson&hl=en&sa=X&ei=e7RRUfnDNfSk2gX1pYHoBQ&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false