The mkiv Supra Owners Club

yet another theory for the crank seal issue

JohnA

why are you surprised? there is gear oil sloshing around, surely there must be some form of pressure relief.

Sometimes the breather is not obvious, perhaps part of the filler plug.

I'm surprised because its a constant-volume system. There's nothing in there to create pressure or vacuum, or draw air in from the outside - at least that's what I thought until I remembered about the helixes on shaft seals.

I have neber, ever, seen a MKIV blow a front seal where the engine isn't, frankly, shot, with ring or piston / bore wear to make you cry.

Chris, so are you saying if you notice dampness around that area of the sump then it`s getting near `engine out` time??

Chris, so are you saying if you notice dampness around that area of the sump then it`s getting near `engine out` time??

A slight weeping of oil is an inication of a 'worn' seal rather than a 'blown' seal. You will know if you blow a front oil seal, as your oil will go from engine - to BIG puddle on the ground very quickly!!