The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo choice !?

dive_popo

i hear its not a good idea as the open turbo housing blasts away the diving mainfold housing iirc.or its something like that im sure someone will come along that knows for sure

Vice versa (think of the airflow..). A divided manifold with non-divided housing is ok (but not ideal) whereas a divided housing on a non-divided manifold the partition will eventually get melted.

thanks man ;) All manifolds I saw on the market with the T4 flange, are divided (twin scroll), and there is a lot of single scroll turbos... So its possible to mount the singe scroll turbo on twin scroll manifold ?

The GTX35R/GT35R are available with T4/V-band AR 1.06 divided exhaust housing.

I use to run an HKS manifold, with a GT35R with an undivided T4/V-band AR 0.82 divided exhaust housing, pics in THIS THREAD.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?186263-Divided-housing-turbo-manifold-questions&highlight=divided+manifold

Have a read of this.

A non divided twin wastegate manifold? Can you explain to me how you'll setup the wastegates on that puppy? :)

Also this was a good discussion

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?249207-Divided-or-non-divided-turbo&highlight=undivided

Edited by caseys (see edit history)

I'd keep things simple, a single wastegate on the size of turbo you're considering will be fine, it'll also be cheaper if you only need to buy one wastegate.

A GT35R or GTX35R with an undivided exhaust housing will both spin up very quickly, my GT35R made positive boost at just over 2K rpm, the GTX is said to be even more responsive as well as being able to flow around 10% more air. I'd either go with a T4/V-band, divided AR1.06 or undivided AR .82 exhaust housing and fabricate the manifold to suit.

Would a precision 6262 be any good,I don't know much about them but I know that will give you the power you want,don't know what they max out at or how good the spool is,but I'm sure someone can help ? I'd wouldn't mind knowing to :)

A view on the subject here http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced%20Engine%20Tuning/Precision%20vs%20Garrett%20vs%20Borg%20Warner.html

Just in option guys, which T4 undivided Manifold would you use ? (disponible on the market)

I'm looking on prices just in case ;)

this one is very nice in my opinion http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turbo-Exhaust-Manifold-93-98-Toyota-Supra-Lexus-2JZ-GTE-motor-/160713586760?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item256b46b848

Edited by dive_popo (see edit history)

Just in option guys, which T4 undivided Manifold would you use ? (disponible on the market)

I'm looking on prices just in case ;)

When I pieced my kit together I went with the HKS T4 Manifold & Racing Wastegate, these are supplied together as a kit. The wastegates are very reliable and the manifolds are robotically welded, pics in the link I posted above. You would then need to fabricate or piece together the rest of the kit.

Alternatively if you want a complete kit HKS do the Turbo Set Up Kit

This is basically the HKS T-04Z kit, minus the turbo. It may be a little pricier than some other kits but the quality is up there with the best and it includes absolutely everything you will need for the turbo install down to the last nut, bolt, gasket, seal, bracket, heat proofing, etc. parts which need to be sourced separately with other kits.

As I mentioned before, the other option would be a cast manifold, these are inherently stronger/more reliable compared to a tubular manifold and make for a much more compact package when fitted. Have a read of Dan's project HERE for more info about cast manifolds. Wez also has a lot of knowledge of the different cast manifolds that are available on the market and would be worth chatting to.

A few other options which are popular with members (but that I have no personal experience of).

Garage Whifbitz

Power House Racing

Titan

Boost Logic

Sound Performance

Edited by Nic (see edit history)