The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A High idle speed

Guest SilverSup

Guest SilverSup
N/A idle speed is now a bit of a nightmare. Basically if it idles too fast it's getting too much air. or the throttle position sensor is giving incorrect feedback to the ECU. An air leak could be external air traceable with a propane jet lance, or the idle speed control valve is malfunctioning or getting duff control signals from the ecu. The throttle body itself is prone to wear. It's ESSENTIAL that only the matching part number throttle position sensor is used if that's faulty, and it need setting up to perfection. Finally the engine needs to be sending correct water temp signals to the ecu that change in correct relationship with the actual engine water temp, The problem is most N/A throttle bodies are now warn and a new TB is about the price of another N/A car... ;) If you mess with the paint sealed throttle plate stop screws the TB is pretty much bin material unless you are VERY lucky.

I think i'll take that as a fair warning. All of a sudden i feel fine with a 2k cold idle.

• 5 years later...
Guest FixedIt

Signed up just to help others out. In my Lexus GS300 2JZ This was the problem (ripped hose). See image attached ... someone had tried a dodgy fix with heatshrink.

My symptons were high and long warm up, and stuttering at idle. Slight air rushing noise. Found by spraying engine ignitor over the hoses and revs fired up.

lexus_hose.jpg