The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake upgrades

Guest SilverSup

Only if they're badly corroded but even then, they'll clean up with a draw file.

The stock ones are chrome plated, if it's corroded through it's best just to bin them as even with a good clean up they will corrode again in no time without the protective plating.

Guest SilverSup

ok thanks guys. really useful info for me to be getting on with. I'll get the standard "service" kits for now and i'll see how i get on.

are there any issues i need to worry about removing/replacing parts that i should be aware of (aside from very stiff caliper mount bolts).

ok thanks guys. really useful info for me to be getting on with. I'll get the standard "service" kits for now and i'll see how i get on.

are there any issues i need to worry about removing/replacing parts that i should be aware of (aside from very stiff caliper mount bolts).

Stiff caliper mount bolts, stiff slider pins, greasy, messy, gungy, etc.

It's a bit of a pain of a job but it's relatively straight forward. 1 real bit of advice I could give you is to make sure you use a hex set rather than a multipoint socket set. It makes all the difference in getting the bolts off cleanly, this goes for the calipers themselves too.

Oh, get a swear jar and see how much you make :D

Guest SilverSup
Stiff caliper mount bolts, stiff slider pins, greasy, messy, gungy, etc.

It's a bit of a pain of a job but it's relatively straight forward. 1 real bit of advice I could give you is to make sure you use a hex set rather than a multipoint socket set. It makes all the difference in getting the bolts off cleanly, this goes for the calipers themselves too.

Oh, get a swear jar and see how much you make :D

lol, the swear jar sounds like a good idea, especially if i rope in a foolish mate to give me a hand.

I've got a full set of both multi-point and wall drive sockets and a multitude of varying spanners, etc. and, of course, the official tool of england - the BFH (Big F**kin' Hammer :D).

I used to restore/rebuild/tune 40-50 year old scooters (Old school Lambretta's from the 60's) so i know how much of a PITA corroded bolts etc can be.

Before you start buying parts do you know for sure which brakes you currently have fitted? Some later NA's were factory fitted with the larger 4pot/2pot brakes and it's also a common upgrade, if you're not sure post up some pics.

Good advice already, if you do have the smaller 2pot/1pot brakes the following will get the best out of them

Caliper refurb kit

Good set of brake pads - Chris Wilson's fast road pads are popular with members.

Stainless steel braided brake lines.

Stock brake discs.

Decent brake fluid - see HERE

I'd also recommend fitting a brace for the brake master cylinder, they can flex on firewall quite a lot, a brace will help firm up the pedal feel and improve braking performance.

Carbing Tower Bar - with BMC stopper

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/2775/attachment1phpdh1.jpg

Cusco Brake Cylinder Stopper

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/7042/attachmentphpib1.jpg