The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aircon unit removal and aux belt damper

skyludeboy

If you want to run the damper you only need to fab a small bracket and it will move out the way, bolt the damper on with only 1 bolt. move it till the belt misses it and then fab a small bracket to hold it in that position, Toyota didnt develop it for nothing !!!

i run my car without a dampner,

i think its purpose is to stop the belt coming off if you do a drag start, where sudden force is applied to the belt (from the crank pulley)

ive not had any problems like this however. maybe you need big BHP for this to occure

i run my car without a dampner,

i think its purpose is to stop the belt coming off if you do a drag start, where sudden force is applied to the belt (from the crank pulley)

ive not had any problems like this however. maybe you need big BHP for this to occure

Nothing to do with drag starts, its the shock on the belt with gear changes, like I said im sure Toyota didnt spend £££ designing it for no reason, same as they didnt design it just in case someone thought about putting a single turbo on. ive lost a couple of belts on 6 speed cars with auto tensioners, maybe I change different !!!

• 11 years later...

Sorry all to bring this old post back up.

When I baught my cat didn't have the aux damper kit nor a fan shroud. 

I installed both but had to cut out a bit of the fan shroud to clear the aux damper. I've been looking at examples of other fan shrouds they all look the same? And part nos same for auto and manual. I've been looking at pics they looks the same too ?

You shouldn't have to do that.

There is a dual aux. fan and single aux. fan variant of the fan shroud.  But neither should cause any issues with the fitment of the damper.

Another consideration would be whether or not your car has an aftermarket radiator?  It may well be thicker causing the shroud to foul on the damper?