The mkiv Supra Owners Club

bonnet higher on N/S than O/S

mr two

My bonnet doesn't sit down as tightly on the N/S...it's fine and tight on the O/S though...Have looked at adjusting the N/S bonnet catch but it doesn't appear to be adjustable...Can anyuone tell me how to rectify this please ??

My previous Supra had the same problem as this but i never got round to having a go at adjusting it. I have also noticed on quite a few pics of Supras that it is a common problem?

You may find that you have to change the bolts for the catches to get adjustment as I believe they are fitted with self centering bolts (there's a sort of taper that will not allow for movement) so you just have to put some plain bolts in. Usually the same for adjustment of the bonnet itself on the hinge plate too.

Have you tried? :eyebrows:

Adjustable rubber stoppers on the inside of the wings?

It's not always obvious but the bonnet might not be actually clicking down fully on both the left and right catches, it wasn't on mine.

If you screw down the bump stop and the bonnet still doesn't go down far enough then give it a firmer push down above the latch.

Have you tried? :eyebrows:

....Yes,,,i have tried this...the catches are both working and holding the bonnet ok...just dont like to see the bonnet about 3mm higher on one side than the other...thats why i had a go at adjusting the catch..but it doesn't move downwards at all....most of the other cars ive owned had adjusting catches if needed

Edited by mr two (see edit history)

Yep...tried the stoppers...all it needs is to fasten down a few mm more on the N/S...when the bonnets closed it sits perfectly on the O/S - in line with the wing, but on the N/S it sits slightly higher than the wing,which too me looks odd.If i press down on the N/S when the bonnet is closed, it lines up perfectly....so raising the rubber stopper would not cure the problem...