The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Twin Headlight Intake Build

Noz

Could you not put the intake in place of the fog light - therefore keeping the main & dipped lights in the correct location. If you removed the fog light unit from the other side, then technically would the lights not be MOT friendly then as well?

I know it might not be the largest surface area on the light, however it woudlnt be very far off. . & without the hassle of trying to relocate beams.

just an idea, not saying don't do your idea, just wondered if anythign had been done before via the fog. :)

Good luck with whatever you attempt though dude :thumbs:

not sure about the fog light mate, i think the amount of air would be less than just using the main beam.

you need a rear fog light, but dont think your require front fogs.

relocating the dipped beam is definitely going to be a pain. will have to design various brackets i think. IIRC you removed the lines in the j spec lenses? was it very difficult?

I'm going to have a turbo in 2 weeks. And like I keep saying, this is for something fun to do, not to solve a problem. The supra has been around long enough for most problems to have many solutions on the market. Heat soak is not a huge issue, but with the single filter having no air box, it gave me the idea. I'm not trying to solve a known problem. I have a turbo blanket, and I will have manifold heat wrap. I've not seen this done before and think the process would be enjoyable.

Where would the fun be if everyone liked the same thing. Clearly this project has brought up opinions the idea isn't a good one, but peole need to try and understand this idea was a thought of from a manufacturing point of view and the challenges involved, rather than driving around with a big hole in my headlight.

And kudos to you for trying to think outside the box. It would probably work better on a V8 with a twin intake.

If it were me attempting this, I'd probably be using the second cutout to cool something on that side of the engine bay (ducted to an oil cooler, or PS cooler etc) rather than trying to bring it across.

I did consider venting this to my oil cooler so il admit that's a good idea. I just thought having two vents looking the same, with different jobs might not be as worth while. I'll be running boost well before this is even close to being finished, so depending on oil temps when under a beating if they start to move then I'll definitely consider that route.

not sure about the fog light mate, i think the amount of air would be less than just using the main beam.

Yea appreciate there would obv be slightly less than using the main beam location, however im not sure the amount of work it would be to use the main beam area and relocate a light would be entirely justified by the additional air inducted for the use of the main beam over say the fog location? - More a question/wondering as i dont know too much about air intake sizes, volumes of air and the additional benefits it has to the engine >

(The questionability over its legallity, MOT 'passability' and policemen friendly'ness) would make me question if it was worth doing all that work to have something i cannot legally use at night? - only going off from what some of the guys have said about the risks of moving the main beam there..

- not meaning to sound like im coming down on you, just running through thoughts and such I was thinking about your project idea :)

you need a rear fog light, but dont think your require front fogs.

Yea - i dont think you need front fogs, however i mentioned about removing the other one as i dont think you can have a singular front fog on its own?, and you cant just d/c it and "not use it" as the MOT requires (as you may or may not know) that any light fitted to the vehicle must work i think :)

relocating the dipped beam is definitely going to be a pain. will have to design various brackets i think. IIRC you removed the lines in the j spec lenses? was it very difficult?

yea very much agree with the "being a pain" part - esp trying to find how to mount the brackets and such without using good old self tappers lol thats not even touching on trying to get things sealed adequitly to stop the dreaded condensation - where theres a gap it will get in!!

Yea i was the guy that "de-lined" my J-Spec lenses - It was probably one of the most time consuming, tedious and repetative jobs ive ever done on my car, even at the end i wasnt totally happy with how they looked. It would certainly be a job i would never want to do again :-/ Sorry thats not as up-beat as you may have been hoping >

as long as I have dipped beam at the correct levels im happy with that. not having a main beam is as issue anyone running a headlight intake will have. it may not be MOT friendly, but I can not worry about having to change the unit to drive home safely. ive driven around with my other unit in and not had any issues. its not to be used as a headlight replacement 24hours a day but just if im going to a track day i dont have to worry about swapping it out. previously driving around with my main unit in, i have to change it when it gets dark. now thats a pain.

to be fair, i think designing brackets and sealing the unit will be easy and the fun part. i can design sheet brackets and seal it no problem. i think the challenge, will be making all this sit nicely and fit in the headlight location. its really tight in the back, as i found out when making a whole unit as the headlight.

i will only have a small area to clear, so hopefully it won't take aaaaages. what grades of paper did you finally use to give it the clear finish? and why weren't you happy with the end results

Good luck with your project, will be cool to do for a spare set for sure :)

Regarding MOT - definitely confirmed that you don't require front fogs. Many cars don't come with any.

thanks mate :thumbs:

i will only have a small area to clear, so hopefully it won't take aaaaages. what grades of paper did you finally use to give it the clear finish? and why weren't you happy with the end results

Small area and only on one light obv wont be as bad as the whole light lens across 2 lenses so wont be as bad as i made out for that circumstance.

Well its questionable over what grade you start at - heavier grits obv knock the lines out a lot faster but you then have to work up through more grades to get the scratches they make out.

It you start with say a heavy like 80 grit - knock down all the lines and the circles. then move up to 120 - 230 - then wet sanding 400 - 600 - 800. I did it all the way up to 2000 grit - as this is the more "mainstream" available grit, but the higher the better, have read that you can get up to around 4000 grit. - after which cutting compound - T-cut - lighter grade t-cut / "paint restorer compound" - polish - wax

I think i started on around 200 as I was nervous about sanding something that is ment to be "clear" at the end of the process with a grit as heavy as 80. however i was slightly regretting my choice after about 4 hours of sanding trying to get lines and the "raise" that sits in the middle of the main beam lens flat...

Since I did mine all that time back I have seen that getting the lenses laquered after the highest grit sandpaper finishes them off really nice. The laquer sits in any fine fine scratches and makes them a lot more clear, so something to bear in mind.

I wasn't happy with mine because although they were clear and you coudln't see any scratches or such, they didn't look as clear as i wanted them (have the AB-Flug inners in mine so i wanted to lenses to be as spot on as possible) - prob more just me being picky :lol: Will maybe have them laquered one day and see how that makes them look as a small "investigation".

Edited by d-_-b (see edit history)

thanks for your top tips. il keep this in mind and will order some paper soon. im hoping to split the lights this week so that will be job number one. going to have to take LOADS of measurements to understand the light dimensions to re-design the dipped beam location.

if i was going to keep the unit the same i would probably just use the main beam rather than the fog light, but wanting more area the dipped is in the way. it will def be a challenge. im hoping i can crack on with this in the next few weeks. at least have measurements and concepts.

im unsure what shape to have the intake :S

split first headlight today. seriously need some love. im considering having the adjustment threads sandblasted and silver plated to help with rust and give them a longer life. am considering design options on how i can support adjustments in height when relocation the dipped beam.

will try and do some inital designs for front lense, and take LOTS of measurements from the lights.

so let me get this straight, you are going to use the fog light as the intake, and keep the dipped and main beam, and place a ring around the dipped beam yes?

sounds like a good idea :) i have rings around my main headlights, think they look nice with HID's.

This is what i wanted to do but other way tound with beams on outer ends. problem is you need a unit that can have dipped and main beam i one unit. i cudnt find any. good idea its the opposite to what im hoping to do.

Any idea what headlight unit u are hoping to use?

Started cleaning the first headlight up today, just spent a bit of time on it. Need to split the second light before I start getting stuff blasted.

Dipped lense and surround was painted, looks pretty naff IMO so surround will be getting sand blasted, silver plated, polished and laquered to give it that nice chrome effect. Was considering angel eyes, but think it might look a bit too chavy with the intakes and all.

Lense had been covered in paint and was in need of a good clean with thinners and a quick polish. Need to do the same to second light, and get the surrounds sent off.

Need to start removing the main beam and fog light unit.

If anyone needs any headlight spares for mainbeam or fog light let me know as I won't be needing them.