The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Knociking noise over small bumps :/

DannyM

Heya guys! i have been searching and reading the forum for a good few hours now and havent really found something that narrows down to my problem!

I bought a supra last week and after driving it around town for a little while i have started to notice that when i go over small bumps, Say like a cobbled road or where a previous pothole has been "fixed" and there is some tarmac petruding up from the roa slightly! Whenever i go over bumps this small i get a knocking sorta noise from the front end, Its not a large clunking bang but just a consistent knock! However when i drive over a deeper pothole or something with a bit more depth i dont hear any noise, so its just the small bumps and uneven road that causes the knocking noise!

any help is much appreciated!

Thanks, Dan

Heya thanks for the speedy reply buddy! :)

Erm what should i be looking for on the bushes for the anti roll bar! i had a quick look and the bushes seemed to fit tightly around the bar. although there was a split all the way thtough the bush, quite a neat cut, is this normal?

If they look worn out basically, they will be split bushes so you can fit them over the bar, are your roll bars stock ?

The clonking you are getting could be play in the ball joints on the drop links at each end of the antiroll bar where

it connects to the lower suspension arm

The drop links shouldn't be too much and i'd change the arb bushes at the same time even if they look ok.

This might not cure the knocking though so i'd inspect all the other bushes and do a bolt check, ie go round with the

spanners checking everythings tight incuding the subframe bolts.

Just checked the prices and the front drop links and arb bushes are £147.71 to me inc vat

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I have a customer with a similar front end knocking issue. The car has had new dampers (not OE black KYB's, but some other silver painted KYB ones) which I didn't fit. It's also had new ARB links and new top and bottom wishbones. The knock is hard to pinpoint., sometimes it seems to be coming from the middle of the car at the front. It's not a really hard bang. more like stones in the wheel arch shields, which I considered, and found, but their removal made no difference. I am going to fit new ARB bushes, but have my doubts as to whether it is those. What shock absorbers have you got fitted? I am erring to thinking these relatively new ones are already goosed.

I have a customer with a similar front end knocking issue. The car has had new dampers (not OE black KYB's, but some other silver painted KYB ones) which I didn't fit. It's also had new ARB links and new top and bottom wishbones. The knock is hard to pinpoint., sometimes it seems to be coming from the middle of the car at the front. It's not a really hard bang. more like stones in the wheel arch shields, which I considered, and found, but their removal made no difference. I am going to fit new ARB bushes, but have my doubts as to whether it is those. What shock absorbers have you got fitted? I am erring to thinking these relatively new ones are already goosed.

Hey, i Just have standard shock absorbers but these seem fine and dont look to be the problem but i am not ruling anything out just yet until i look a little deeper! it is very hard to pinpoint indeed but thats annoying because i dont want to try fix the problem by going down the expensive process of elimination route :/ Im guessing if it is the ball joints it would be easier to just purchase the full lower arm and replace that?

Unfortunately dampers can look perfect but knock like hell because the piston is loose on the piston rod, internally, or the foot valve is loose or broken. Good luck, let us know what you find please.

Ah right i see now :/ I will keep you informed but i have a feeling this hunt will go on for quite some time! :(

i had a problem like this once. over the small bumps it made a knock but over the big bumps nothing. i found that the the top suspension arm bolt was a little loose. I could move the top arm just slightly. The bolt was tight but not done up so i took it off cleaned it up with a wire brush and put it back on and done it up and the problem was solved. Might be the same issue for you maybe.

hope this helps you out

Ive just had a similar problem sorted out on my rear pass side by replacing the shock. It was a constant knocking sound over even smooth roads but not too noticeable when going over larger bumps.

I may be asking a silly question but have you jacked it up and tried moving the wheel up / down by hand? The mechanic did that with mine to diagnose that it was the shock which was fubar.

Thanks for the input guys its much appreaciated and has given me some more ideas on what to look over a bit more thoroughly tommorow or whenever i get chance! And i didnt try to lift the suspension up adn down with the wheel on no so shall also try that before stripping anything down!

Dan