Hellstrom supra project.

Hellstrom

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

coming along well bud. If you dont mind me asking how much was your order from MVP with the new parts you got?

think it was about 1830$ ish including delivery. give take a few $.

ARP rodbolts

ARP main bolts

ARP head studs

OEM piston rings

OEM gaskets

OEM water pump

OEM oilpump

ACL bearing set

Edited by Hellstrom (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, doing some serious work there Johan! Any updates, you reckon she'll be back on the road for the summer? I want to push myself with my next car, I'd love to have the knowledge and confidence to strip down an engine and do this type of thing. Just remember to upload plenty of photos, the engine bay will look great when its finished, I'm very happy you're keeping it winning blue too!

Glad john sold it to someone who's going to take care of her. :D

That was my main concern Geo!

Hi John.

Thanks, yeah for now iam keeping it blue. Yeah it will be up and running hopefully before Easter since iam going to attend a car show and want to have the plessure of driving the car there. its lots of work left but iam probebly going to try get some vecation to get some serious hours in the Garage. the engine is pretty much built ive just not had the time to sit down and go trough my photos as ive taken plenty, both for uploading here and for my own sake to not forget about stuff.

This is pretty much how the engine stands ATM. iam going to do a serious clean of the garage and then start with the engine bay. Plenty of stuff to remove so will take a fair amount of time. More pictures to come just need the time to sit down and do it!

Hope everything is well with you John and that you eventually will go to Australia!

attachment.php?attachmentid=148847&stc=1&d=1332678701

Cheers.

IMG_0557.jpg

That engine looks great! Top work.

Been in Melbourne for just over 4 months! Eventually got out, just in time for summer. Tough going over here though, not too many jobs in architecture so working for a furniture removals company, really enjoying it, getting to drive all over melbourne and a good group of lads to work with so happy enough for now.

Hows everything with you?

• 2 weeks later...

The car is up and running with minus the knocking sound that came from the no:5 cylinder (piston slap) it pull really well and i had to put the BC down alot to maintain 1.2bar it boosted 1.4bar not even on WOT of boost so i must have done somthing right when i ported the cylinderhead. Now iam just on miniral oil for the brake in and it will be done tomorrow hopefully, then its time for Motul 20w/60 and alot heavier foot! Engines is really smooth now and all in all i think the rebuild went easy enough few bumps but nothing to hard. when i get time i will update this thread with photos etc iam just too busy in the garage getting the final bits together, and when iam not there iam trying to make up lost time with my daughter!

Wow cool mate, hopefully you can get a job in architecture and draw the Aussies somthing nice! with me?! its all good been spending alot of time in the garage eventually i will need to take the missus out for dinner or similar ;)

Okay so i finally have the time to update abit!

after waiting long over due for the parts from MVP this is what i finally got!

attachment.php?attachmentid=150052&stc=1&d=1334497399

Rushed out to install the new bolts and finally puting the bottom end together.

attachment.php?attachmentid=150053&stc=1&d=1334497399

attachment.php?attachmentid=150054&stc=1&d=1334497399

attachment.php?attachmentid=150055&stc=1&d=1334497399

attachment.php?attachmentid=150056&stc=1&d=1334497399

attachment.php?attachmentid=150057&stc=1&d=1334497451

I bought a Mines ECU so i took it apart to take some pictures to mail to Mines to get the specifications. 1bar boost, delimit, removed Fuel cut, tuned ignition and timing! bought it for the bargin price of around 90quid aswell! :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=150058&stc=1&d=1334497451

Now i was starting to asembly the whole engine, oilpan etc etc!

attachment.php?attachmentid=150059&stc=1&d=1334497451

attachment.php?attachmentid=150060&stc=1&d=1334497451

attachment.php?attachmentid=150061&stc=1&d=1334497451

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

Edited by Hellstrom (see edit history)

With the engine built and ready to get it back in it was time to start cleaing up the engine bay to get it ready for paint as it was in its original colour silver and dressed in dust/oil and some rust. this is how it all looked.

attachment.php?attachmentid=150072&stc=1&d=1334499112

attachment.php?attachmentid=150076&stc=1&d=1334499112

attachment.php?attachmentid=150073&stc=1&d=1334499112

attachment.php?attachmentid=150074&stc=1&d=1334499112

attachment.php?attachmentid=150075&stc=1&d=1334499112

attachment.php?attachmentid=150077&stc=1&d=1334499155

attachment.php?attachmentid=150078&stc=1&d=1334499155

attachment.php?attachmentid=150079&stc=1&d=1334499155

This is how the powerstearing reservoir looked before i polished it up.

attachment.php?attachmentid=150080&stc=1&d=1334499155

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

I gave it a good clean and sanded the paint down abit to get a nice smooth ground i did a test sample to make sure that the colour ive bought was a match or atleast close enough.

attachment.php?attachmentid=150081&stc=1&d=1334499716

sprayed the engine bay, this is the result without any clearcoat on it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=150082&stc=1&d=1334499716

This is the result when i put the clear coat on it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=150083&stc=1&d=1334499716

I seem to be missing some pictures when i put the engine back inside the bay... ohhh wait, i did it on my own without a ramp and was kinda hard to just let everyting go just to get some photos hope its okay ;)

anyway... Engine back inside most parts have found there home again..

attachment.php?attachmentid=150084&stc=1&d=1334499716

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

There should be a movie when we had the first start up but thats on my mates phone so ill see if i can get ahold of it.

The car is back on the road and i have done around 300miles with it so far and i have changed oil 3 times, first i started it and let it run for around 5-10mins and drained it to a transparant bottle to see if there where any contamination in it. where alot of molygrese in the first change, also splitted the oil filter open to take a look inside it but there where nothing strange in there. filled it up with oil again and drove it around 130miles with miniral oil to break it in, now it runs Motul 20w60 lemans oil.

The engine pulls really well or... well as much as a healty BPU car will pull. no strange noises or anything. so iam happy with the result. ill see if i can get a few pics of the car up as it stands now!

That looks fantastic bud. :thumbs: job well done :D

Look at the turbo side, where the black hose joins your polished pipe, there seems to be a gap of about 5mm??? maybe the hose needs pushed up slightly and the clip tightened ??

it sits good, iam guessing the hose have shrunk abit with age and being hot/cold etc, i just want the hoose to be fully on on the other end becouse that will be a major pita if it pops from that end during a cruise, on the upper side its easy to reach if it would pop off. Anyways in the future iam thinking of going hardpipe on the intake/intercooler side and remove the airfilterbox and put an open filter where the stock IC usually sits. just need to make sure ive got enough space :)

thanks Geo