The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK/EU - spec brakes strength

Mario

Mario see if you can get a picture of the wheel from the hub side, im wondering if the center

piece of the wheel could be machined, going by the area thats being ground away on the

caliper it might be possible.

I will sent a pm to Dan from CCW, and ask if he could sent me some pictures from the hub side.

I will sent a pm to Dan from CCW, and ask if he could sent me some pictures from the hub side.

I look forward to seeing them as im intrigued to see exactly what part of the center piece

of the wheel the caliper is catching on.

Heres a picture of my Work Equips with UK spec calipers which shows how far out from the hub the

problem is

DSCF0598.JPG

I've found this pic Scott and it looks like the wheels stick out quite a lot and would

appear to be the wrong offset to fit a mkiv even if they cleared the brakes.

The thread on supraforums explains this and how members on there are having to

roll the front wings etc.

Ahh, when I read the first post I thought it was explained that they were the correct size.

Aint no amount of brake grinding that's going to get them inside the wing. 3mm? Try 33mm ;)

I know I should be knocking that right out of the park Scott, it was beautifully played and I dare say intentional.

But I won't today, I'm not at my best.

I hope it's enough that I spotted the potential when all else failed.

As long as my Wife doesn't find out you can swing away :D

Ahh, when I read the first post I thought it was explained that they were the correct size.

Aint no amount of brake grinding that's going to get them inside the wing. 3mm? Try 33mm ;)

I will try to explain Scott, if you go to this link http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?335026-Post-pics-of-CCW-Classics-on-your-dawg/page6 (you will see on page 6 another owner struggling to get them classics fitted, then you will also see that when lowering the car/ or dropping down the car the wheels come inwards)

When using the provided wheelspacer you will be able to clear the front uk/eu spec brakes, but most are struggling to get them within the arches when using them spacers. When fitting them without spacers they struggle with the oem brakes to fit the wheel over.

Some of them did actually ground their caliper to get it all fitted, i need also mention that the tire width some of them using to fit the front wheels within the fenders is large (285's) i think when going 20mm smaller in tire width 265 on a 10Jwheel it will be an easier fitment.

But it's actually not what is expected for a custom wheel that is made to fit perfect for the mkiv supra, it needs rolling of the rear arches in most of the cases and in some cases depending on tirewidth and sideewall the front fenders.

I will try to explain Scott, if you go to this link http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?335026-Post-pics-of-CCW-Classics-on-your-dawg/page6 (you will see on page 6 another owner struggling to get them classics fitted, then you will also see that when lowering the car/ or dropping down the car the wheels come inwards)

When using the provided wheelspacer you will be able to clear the front uk/eu spec brakes, but most are struggling to get them within the arches when using them spacers. When fitting them without spacers they struggle with the oem brakes to fit the wheel over.

Some of them did actually ground their caliper to get it all fitted, i need also mention that the tire width some of them using to fit the front wheels within the fenders is large (285's) i think when going 20mm smaller in tire width 265 on a 10Jwheel it will be an easier fitment.

But it's actually not what is expected for a custom wheel that is made to fit perfect for the mkiv supra, it needs rolling of the rear arches in most of the cases and in some cases depending on tirewidth and sideewall the front fenders.

The issue is the tyres in that case though. As I said in my first response, if 3mm is the difference between rubbing and not rubbing then simply use tyres that are 10mm narrower (5mm per side) to give 2mm more clearance than even without the spacers.

3mm spacers are going to make no difference to anything when it comes to getting those wheels under the arches. You can grind your brakes down 5mm which will allow the wheels to fit as is.... but they still won't fit any better than with the 3mm spacers on.

• 1 month later...
I look forward to seeing them as im intrigued to see exactly what part of the center piece

Heres a picture of my Work Equips with UK spec calipers which shows how far out from the hub the

problem is

Hi DNK to come back on the pictures from the hub side, i mailed Dan from CCW instantly that day, never received an answer,,,,,

Maybe they didn't understand my question or so, will get some pics up when mine arrive,:D

• 3 weeks later...

http://mkivsupras.co.uk/vbb/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Dnk http://mkivsupras.co.uk/vbb/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png

problem is

As promised, a few pictures from the hub side. But now i've got them at home and I don't think I would modify them to get the fronts fitted without wheelspacer,

the two 3mm spacers for the front axle are included, will try to fit them with spacer first and will go from there.;)

11012012058.jpg

11012012056.jpg

11012012057.jpg

So by the look of it the problem is where the spokes curve back to the hub face.

I think that could be machined if done by a good turner with a big enough lathe.

As for how much you'd compromise the strength by i've no idea, it could be done but

you'd probably be into a couple of hours on each wheel

11012012056.jpg