The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which Carb shall i go for on my Mini?

SupraDan24

I have a 1990 1275cc Mini Cooper that i bought off Casey on the forum. I had some running issues and eventually traced it back to a cracked Carburettor so i'm going to replace it. My Q is, which do i go for, there's so many to choose from and i no nothing about Carbs. I'm not doing anything to the engine (overboreing etc) as its my daily driver which rules out race carbs/twin carbs. I'm just looking for something that will bolt straight on and will give me as good an improvement in performance as reasonably practicle, its pretty woeful at the minute. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mr Whiffin use to build and race minis, I would have a chat with him ;)

Good call Wez, i had a brief chat with him at Pod about his mini past. Ive got to take the Supe up to him this trip home to get my TRD dials swapped out and Gearbox bushes in so i will have a chat with him at the same time:)

With a bike engine :D I dont really want to spend a fortune on it just yet tbh, i have to finish the Supra before i start on the Mini, and i'm starting with the interior as its seen better days. Just a carb that doesnt need to much work, maybe as a kit with manifold etc but nothing thats going to need much in the way of fabrication. Thats what i'm after. Something for under £500 :)

...I'm not doing anything to the engine (overboring etc) as its my daily driver which rules out race carbs/twin carbs. I'm just looking for something that will bolt straight on and will give me as good an improvement in performance as reasonably practical, its pretty woeful at the minute. Any suggestions?Thanks
Yes, don't expect an A-Series Mini to be quick by modern standards. :)

(or... fit a BMW K100 head and EFI)

More seriously, I wouldn't have thought that a different carburettor would make much difference to the performance on its own, you might as well stick with the SU if there are no other mods.

mini has a twin port head, pretty useless going for twin dual chokes or a full set of 4 bike carbs!

from what i've read / gathered ove rthe years the best bet is a single SU, if you can get one something HIF like an HIF44 off an MG metro.

This will flow more than enough for your engine tune, and the needles can be altered / replaced to suit any tune in the future. Twin HS2's (1 1/4" ones) will look cool but are trickier to set up as they have to be balanced etc.

Looking back at your original post- as its a 1990 it may well have an SU HIF as standard! if so replce the broken parts and have the needle profiled for optimum on a rolling road or something. I've played with SU's and tehy are simple as hell (work like bike carbs if you've ever played with those).

i'm not personally experienced with minis but i've been mates with people who have ran them / raced them in the past, so this is all second hand- dont take it as gospel!

HIF44 will see you to 110hp on a 1380 easily so would be more than ample on your 1275.

You'll need the correct needle for your spec (only really possible to get 100% oin a rolling road with someone who knows about SUs), the correct spring in the dashpot for part throttle running and then finally the right oil in the dashpot for throttle response vs. lean spots when stabbing the throttle.