The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bonnet damper fitting help

Josh

these were one of the things i had planned to fit to mine, but i dont know of my bonnet will hold? its really light weight carbon fibre stout hood, it drops at one side when its open with the standard bonnet stay

Mines the same Pete, i have a CF Top Secret one. I'll let you know how it goes if i fit them tomorrow.

The struts are designed to work with a certain weight so as long as the CF is significantly lighter than stock you should be ok, otherwise if it's too light it will catapult open and potentially damage the bonnet amongst otherthings.

I would be more worried about the fact they are constantly trying to push the bonnet open and if you don't seat it on the catches properly it is likely to fling open whilst your driving !!!

They're not. When the bonnet is half way closed, it just falls as normal. The dampers are pretty much horizontal when it's closed so they're only pushing on the brackets so won't be pushing the bonnet up at all.

Fitted mine just now, the left side fitted no problem at all, the right side was a right pig. I still dont think its right now tbh, its at angle and it flex's a bit when it fully extends. I am using a top secret CF bonnet though. If you only open it say 80% of the way, it works fine, closes nicely too.