The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Finished my Carbon Fibre Arm rest today

ManwithSupra

It is a little fiddly but as long as you dont rush (not rushing being the key) the results come out well.

This one is what they call carbon skinning, so carbon cloth layed on top of a part however I have made a mould from another cover which I am going to make out of complete carbon fibre.

The end result should also be better as i will be using my Vacuum bagging resin infusion system :)

Is this one of the online kits? Pre preg or wet layup?

what other things are you planning to do then?

I have a fair list of things i am also making moulds for at the moment (Exterior and Interior)

Kind of experimenting to see what works and what doesnt.

I am going to do a few more interior parts and I have a full dash which i am going to experiment on, then go from there.

Is this one of the online kits? Pre preg or wet layup?

This cover was done Wet skinning (similar to Wet layup but placed on a part rather than produced in a mould).

Prepreg is way too expensive and you need an Autoclave oven as it will only set at around 80'c+

My Resin infusion kit is what i will be doing with the moulds to get a real nice finish, the parts will also be stronger than wet layup as its done in a 99.9% Vacuum rather than just laying carbon over each other.

how easy is it to get flat? could it be done around the facelift dash panel around the speedo do you reckon? or to tight to get it flat

If you are skinning these parts then all you need to do is remove the rubber on the dash panels first, then sand (key the surface) then clean again with soapy water, dry, and then paint a 1st coat of resin straight onto the part, wait for it to become tacky (so it sticks to your finger but no resin comes away on your finger when you pull away) then you can put the carbon cloth onto the part.

Plain weave is better for more complicated parts as it’s a little easier to work with than twill for instance.

Once the carbon is flat to the surface then add another layer of fresh resin, wait for it to go hardish (4+ hours) then Key again with 1000 grit, clean, then add another layer of Resin, then leave for 24 hours to go hard.

Then you can go to work on polishing the part, flat it first with 400 grit, then move up the grits, 400, 600, 800, 1200 ,1600 and then 2000 really put the time in on this as the more time you spend with the finer grits the better the result, when using 1200 - 2000 make sure you use lots of water and soap and clean the part regularly when doing it, once you are happy with the finish use a polishing compound to bring it to shine - job done.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)