The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Temp car Insurance

T2 MSW

Has anyone ever used or can recommend one of these temp car inurance cover companies that insure modified cars?

I have had TempCover recommended to me but just got right through the T&C and the quote to the last section and in the declaration is status I agree the car has not been modified!!!

I need insurance for a couple of days and thats about it, Car never moved and will not go on the road now except when its being mapped on the 21st.

Anyone have any recommentations?

Whatever you do be sure it's WELL covered, mapping on the road is a very high risk activity, personally I won't contemplate it, and temporary cover from some unknown broker for that sort of activity would give me the willies. Can't it be mapped on a hub dyno? Then tweaked for cold start and other niceties later?

Sorry Chris I should clarify that were not mapping on the road, thats being done on TDi's Hub dyno. This is just for gettting to TDI and back home again :)

I was going to rent a trailer and tow it down but I cant pick the trailer up till 9 AM on the 21st and im never going to get home, load the car and get down to TDI for any time near 2 PM.

There are no temporary insurers I know of who will insure either an imported or modified car.

Ollie

Sky Insurance

The one sky recommend/run would for my legnum. Nothing in the t&cs saying they wouldn't ether that i could see. Wouldn't cover modified cars tho. In the end I didn't need the temp cover tho

Thinking about this I feel you would be mad to drive to a mapping session miles away. Why not just hire the trailer for two or three days and have the reassurance that if it blows up or throws a wobbly on the dyno you can get the car home, TDI won't be aggrieved having to push a dead car around, maybe store it (more expense...), and you have a means of getting YOURSELF back home. Obviously we all hope our engine ISN'T going to go pop, but there's a most definite risk, and for the cost of a trailer hire for 3 days I'd not be taking it.

I completely agree Chris, I would prefer to trailer the car and not run the risk. Its not a cost issue or availability of the trailer its down to the fact I cant get there to pick it up any other day due to work commitments.

Worst case scenario I have breakdown cover which again is not ideal but better than taking up space in TDi's Garage.

There are no temporary insurers I know of who will insure either an imported or modified car.

Ollie

Sky Insurance

Cheers for the info Ollie, I thought that would prob be the case - guess i'll be giving you a call for a quote in the next few days.

Trade plates have nothing to do with insurance at all. If I lent him my trade plates it wouldn't convey any insurance cover. They merely allow the registered owner of the plates to legally use cars on the public road with no current road fund licence. Even then there are if's and's and but's. My insurance is not related in any way to the plates, nor vice versa, so they won't help him I'm afraid.

Cheers for the input guys,

Thats always an option right there Tim. I can get Richard to shift it if I need to. Just waiting on whats happening with my other car at the min as the injectors and wireing loom went pop on Sat. Common issue with VW apparently.