The mkiv Supra Owners Club

stock air filter v induction kit ?

bl4stin

I think it varies from car to car to be honest. A little while ago I had an MG ZS180 (the V6 model). the airbox on this is identical to that on the 1800 K-series, and as a result is severely restrictive. I've run various N/A and turbo cars, and I can safely say that this is the only occasion when fitting a good-quality aftermarket filter has made a noticeable difference to anything other than noise.

If the stock setup on the Supra is as good as everyone says it is, then you're probably best staying put. Rolling Road results may favour the cone filter, but real-world scenarios (hot/cold days, traffic etc) will probably mean the cold-air ducted standard filter is more consistent.

As for induction roar, this is more personal preference really. Personally I rather enjoy it :)

Must be a hooligan, clearly :p

do mean the one on the vid ,??

ive seen this vid a few times and i wasnt to keen on the sound but now its kind of growen on me and id kind of like that noise lol

Yes on the vid, the Failside Supra. Theres plenty of different bov noises, from horrid tssshhh to that. I have an SSQV on mine and its the best noise IMO, Im removing it though as I prefer compressor stall.

Thats a great vid btw, the NSX surprised me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1J-eiCsWR4

here is the link sorry i forgot to post it in my last post

The Supra on that video has a single turbo fitted, the noise you can hear is the larger turbo compressor stalling on lift off, with the stock turbos you won't hear this noise - even with an induction kit fitted - as the turbos are a lot smaller and have all the additional sequential intake piping.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Surely the Veilside Supra in that link is running a single set-up?

If so the nice induction noise you are hearing when the driver plants his foot is a turbo trying to suck the entire world up through a big cone filter (which is only necessary on a single) but it's more to do with the turbo's hunger for air than the cone filter itself.

The quiet Supra bringing up the rear is a TT I'd say.

Edit: What Nic, the faster typer, just said!

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

Yes on the vid, the Failside Supra. Theres plenty of different bov noises, from horrid tssshhh to that. I have an SSQV on mine and its the best noise IMO, Im removing it though as I prefer compressor stall.

Thats a great vid btw, the NSX surprised me.

im glad you liked it , but you said the failside supra , is the veilside supra bad ?

also , will the TT supra make a nice sound if you go atmospheric or get a hks bov ??

It's terrible, it only finished third, behind a quarter of a million pound supercar and Ayrton Senna's personal take on what a road car should be.

I'd kill it with fire if I had it.;)

lol i know , what do you all think of that spoiler ???