The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cheap rebuilt engine!

jackso11

My car overheated again yesterday. I had loads of issues with it over heating last year but it passes a sniff test and a block test and is not losing coolant. I have changed rad cap, water pump, termostat, coolant (about 3 times last year while trying to sort this). The only thing I haven't tried is to replace the viscous coupling, which I have a new one sitting in the garage about to go on. No idea what else it could be as nothing seems to point to the HG.

I have had no problems through winter although I haven't driven it much, but the first drive going on turbos in the heat and it over heats. I am hoping its the viscous coupling :(

Radiator?

they cannot rebuild an engine for that price it isnt possible so you will be buying a bodge imo, id rather buy a second hand motor that ive seen running in a car or at least with a proper build receipt like my gtr engine which sold for £3300 bare tall motor, much more than the crap on ebay but he knows it will last as its a proper pro built motor.

just think about it it doesnt take much to work it out, buying an engine from a car breaker or someone breaking there car good chance you can hear engine running and should be good for a while if come from a road going car, what engines do you think this dodgy company take in on exchange good runners ! lol they will be getting knackered engines in exchange bodging them and banging them out for naff all money, now surely that expalins my view on it in enough detail ?

Edited by scoooby slayer (see edit history)

It had a new radiator from toyota 4 years ago. I am stumped as to what it can be. I am not loosing any coolant, thats the strange thing.

Have you flushed the cooling system as it sounds like a blockage to me. Are all the hoses getting hot? Do you get hot air in the cabin? It could also be an airlock in the cooling system.

Interesting. I don't know how long this has been going on for, but if it picks up then we could have a large ring of nicely rebuilt engines circulating, which for the age of the car would be a nice thing to have.

But then again, it might all be dodgy and we may never speak of this again.

My car overheated again yesterday. I had loads of issues with it over heating last year but it passes a sniff test and a block test and is not losing coolant. I have changed rad cap, water pump, termostat, coolant (about 3 times last year while trying to sort this). The only thing I haven't tried is to replace the viscous coupling, which I have a new one sitting in the garage about to go on. No idea what else it could be as nothing seems to point to the HG.

I have had no problems through winter although I haven't driven it much, but the first drive going on turbos in the heat and it over heats. I am hoping its the viscous coupling :(

The failure mode on the viscous coupling is that it locks up all the time, so if anything the car will be over cooling.

If you've got a stock radiator, a fiver says that it's the end tanks on the rad that are cracked and you'll be loosing pressure through that. The cracks will be absolutely tiny, but with the car up to temperature you might be able to spot coolant just bubbling out of them.

end tanks? sorry, what exactly do you mean? Wouldn't I be losing coolant if there was a leak?

The plastic tanks on the side of the radiator are prone to cracking especially if the coolant has overheated.

If there is a crack you could be losing pressure in the system, if the pressure drops then the coolant will boil over at a lower temperature.