The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Remapping

Guest jonny79

Thanks Nic, I like the sound of this route. I'll increase the boost to a max level of 1bar and replace the o2 sensor and fit my fmic and hopefully that shoud give me the modest power increase I'm looking for without reducing the lifespan of the turbo's that much.

Will this increase in pressure give me the power at the top end or will the car be more torquey lower down?

It's 286bhp at the wheels and yes I meant 305lbft of torque. Gaz got it right I am thinking if preserving my Turbo's, that's why I want a little more power without upping the boost.

I don't know if the o2 sensor has been replaced, so I'll be replacing that soonish, I have yet to fit my greddy fmic so I should see some ponies return as my stock smic is most likely not as efficient as it was 16 years ago.

Will I be able to hold boost pressure at 0.9bar with a restrictor ring and boost controller?

I think your bhp figure was at the flywheel Kamal not at the wheels.

The boost will be held down by the restrictor ring and dependant on the size of the bore of the ring as to what boost it will go too, the boost controller can only raise the boost from this figure

I would do a full decat then fit a restrictor ring to hold the boost down at say .9bar then you can control the boost above this whenever you want with the BC, like mine you could have 4 channels all with differant settings of boost pre set and you change to suit whatever you want at the time :)

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Thanks Nic, I like the sound of this route. I'll increase the boost to a max level of 1bar and replace the o2 sensor and fit my fmic and hopefully that shoud give me the modest power increase I'm looking for without reducing the lifespan of the turbo's that much.

Will this increase in pressure give me the power at the top end or will the car be more torquey lower down?

1 bar on healthy turbo's will be fine :) 1.2 shouldnt be an issue either, its not like your maxxing out the boost everytime your driving the car, i was out in mine the other day and only hit max boost once in a 20 mile run

You saw my car make 377 fwhp at 1.1 bar so i'd think you'd be very happy with that in yours and still pretty safe :)

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Sounds daft to me, why spend more money on cams, EMU and mapping, than you would spend to get the turbos rebuilt, in fact you could have hybrids for less than the price of cams etc, and no doubt gain much more power.

You need to look at things like this, BPU OK slightly more stress on the turbos, but big gain in power, Adding cams and EMU + mapping much smaller gain in power, but you would still have more stress on the engine as cams will put more strain on the valve train,. and if the EMU is not mapped spot on, then you could end up with det at worst or just added strain on the injectors, due to being driven differently, so in essence a bit of a no brainier really.

Thanks uncle Dunk, that's what I'll do then. Where will I get the 0.9bar restrictor ring from? Will someone like Chris Wilson be able to machine one for me, I've only come across 1bar restrictor rings. I also know some one with CW 1st and 2nd decats, thor FCD, and a greddy profec boost controller, so once he is ready to part with them I'll take them off him. So all I need is a 0.9 restrictor ring? Nic said I'll be ok with the stock plugs and fuel pump if I stay below 1bar.

thanks for your input ricky, so are these hybrid/rebuilt turbo's reliable? Do they have the lifespan of stock jspec turbos?

Sounds daft to me, why spend more money on cams, EMU and mapping, than you would spend to get the turbos rebuilt, in fact you could have hybrids for less than the price of cams etc, and no doubt gain much more power.

You need to look at things like this, BPU OK slightly more stress on the turbos, but big gain in power, Adding cams and EMU + mapping much smaller gain in power, but you would still have more stress on the engine as cams will put more strain on the valve train,. and if the EMU is not mapped spot on, then you could end up with det at worst or just added strain on the injectors, due to being driven differently, so in essence a bit of a no brainier really.

I'd have though Chris can sort the restrictor ring, i think for what it costs i'd replace your fuel pump and the plugs then your sorted to have a little play at 1.2 bar every now and then which trust me you will want to do :)

Dont forget you will probably need new gaskets between the exhaust joins ;)