The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi Stall Torque Converters ......again

Justin

Anybody got one of these lock-up switches and can answer the above question please?

I have a BL box with 3800 TC and a lock up switch. I use the lock up switch to stop the box changing down everytime you put your foot on the loud pedal - eg when cruising down the motorway and needing extra power to overtake, you dont necessarily want the thing to kick down and the lock up switch stops this happening.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a BL box with 3800 TC and a lock up switch. I use the lock up switch to stop the box changing down everytime you put your foot on the loud pedal - eg when cruising down the motorway and needing extra power to overtake, you dont necessarily want the thing to kick down and the lock up switch stops this happening.

I think Matt Harwood knows how to fit a lock up switch. I think it is just a case of tapping an on/off switch into the right wires in the ECU.

I think Matt Harwood knows how to fit a lock up switch. I think it is just a case of tapping an on/off switch into the right wires in the ECU.

He did mine. I now use the OD button on the gear stick as the lock up switch and have a seperate switch to turn the OD off and on.

Really? I can't imagine how that could work. A torque converter is a mechanical thing, no electrics involved. What am I missing here?

I have ordered a High Stall, so I'm very interested in this subject at the mo.

I've driven a BL67'd car running a 3800 stall and BL box. It kinda felt like the car was hunting for a gear all the time when driving normally but you soon get used to it. I didn't think it made the car undriveable at all, and when you nail the throttle... :D

Really? I can't imagine how that could work. A torque converter is a mechanical thing, no electrics involved. What am I missing here?
(Christian here) I believe it's something like the electrical circuit causes the gearbox to pump fluid around that engages a clutch-type mechanism that locks it up. The 'clutch' is only intended to hold it steady (e.g. cruising) and you're not supposed to accelerate hard with it activated or you will wear it out.

i used to have a 3800 then had trouble with gearbox so i orderd a 4000 tc so not to have any downtime.im on stock twins on a 4000tc and it fine driving to me.you will find you light tyres up so easy.i found out on street tyres if you put foot down it lights up the tyres and get a lot of wheel spin as tyres were not gripping, rltc seem to help me. with drag radials they so grippy you dont need the rltc.

when i went to pod it was 1st time out on drag radials and new 4000tc did 2 1.8 60 foots and my best of 1.730

the last run i fluffed up trying to give it too much revs off the line and the rear tyres gripped that much it pushed car through beam, could not hold on foot brake.

was chuffed first time out on drag radials and 4000tc that i got the best ever launch i have had on 4 attempts.seems to jump off the line when you get it right.

dont expect too much on street tyres. also launching harder could break something.

an auto gearbox is pretty cheap to replace.

when i was looking into them i was recomended to go with 3200. but went with a 3800 then bought a 4000.

on supra forums the PI tc seems to get slated.

is the gearbox the same on UK & JDM ?

Yes.

Jake, I know how to do it on a 'normal' ECU, but I haven't got a clue about the VVTi. Sorry :(

All the wiring info I have on the VVTi, only seems to cover engine components. I haven't seen any info on the gearbox to date.

I'd guess that the plug in the gearbox would be the same though, so if I can find out where it plugs in, we may be able to trace it back from there...

Jake, I know how to do it on a 'normal' ECU, but I haven't got a clue about the VVTi. Sorry

I'm putting the high stall TC into my '93 RZ actually Matt. I may have confused things by mentioning my Tiptronic steering wheel but I have a non functioning Tiptronic wheel on the RZ as well the one on my other car.

So, how to do it? :D

Yes.

Jake, I know how to do it on a 'normal' ECU, but I haven't got a clue about the VVTi. Sorry :(

All the wiring info I have on the VVTi, only seems to cover engine components. I haven't seen any info on the gearbox to date.

I'd guess that the plug in the gearbox would be the same though, so if I can find out where it plugs in, we may be able to trace it back from there...

Sh*t didn't think of that. I've got a Blitz Access ECU so probably won't be able to fit a lock up switch :cry:

I'm putting the high stall TC into my '93 RZ actually Matt. I may have confused things by mentioning my Tiptronic steering wheel but I have a non functioning Tiptronic wheel on the RZ as well the one on my other car.

So, how to do it? :D

Ahh, that's easy then.

Get a relay, and find pin 14. on the main ECU. Wire up the relay so that pin 14 goes through the relay 'normally closed', then use the switch to activate the relay, putting an earth to the ECU on pin 14.

I can probably do a diagram if it helps but I'm not very good with computer graphics programs :stupid:

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting an old one here.

Im tempted to go for a torque converter of about 3000rpm 3200 at most. Dont really want to affect the drive too much from how it is now.

But what i was curious about, was would the higher torque converter make a difference to rolling accelerating. So if i was to overtake another moving vehicle for instance?

But what i was curious about, was would the higher torque converter make a difference to rolling accelerating. So if i was to overtake another moving vehicle for instance?

oh yes it does ;), if your revs are fairly low when you snap the throttle open the revs come up very fast to the stall point so you get no noticable lag and are not waiting for the engine to spool the turbo