The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is NOS worth it ?

Biguns

ive got an na too and seriously looked into noz a few years ago......my decision? i didnt bother.i have friends with it fitted and honestly they never have there bottles with anything in them!!!!! its far to expensive on top of a car that already is expensive to run.more downs that ups i felt and not to mention what jamie p just said.

I've had a NA on NOS in the past and you're makking it sound way more complicated then it needs to be lol ;)

Firstly you can remote bottle openers these days and you purge the lines from in the car and I never ran a bottle warmer on my NA. It was running about a 130'ish shot of NOS, on a progressive controller and out on the road it lasted easily enough time to kill a few cars and have a good blast round town on it, but it wont last days.

Running NOS on a NA is easily safe. Peoples engines blow up on dyno's because you are trying to run NOS with boost, but on a NA road car, you could easily get yourself to a TT power ouput without any problems.

You could probably get the whole setup + progressive controler for about £800 these days, maybe less and easily have it installed in a weekend.

Dont listen to all the haters mate, used safely and correctly, it can have its own advantages ;)

Any suggestions on installers?

Look at the nos haters go!!!

Nos is sound mate I've run it on all my cars over the last ten years + and never had any problems!

Its really simple and great fun, I wouldn't listen to the haters, it's only when your running silly amounts of bhp and boost nos can be a bit more complicated.

On a N/a it would be fine with a 100bhp squirt....lol

If u have a full 7.5kg bottle with a 70-100bhp jet running it costs about £38 to fill and would last upto 2.5mins on full throttle, and when u think u will prob have a 0-60 time of under 6 secs, 2.5mins is allot of races off the line to beat those saxos at the lights..... Lol

Buy a kit and get it fitted at afr mate, dude knows exactly what he's doing when it comes to nos!

All the best fella!

Nitrous is now around £5.50 a lb, if I were running it on a road car I would splash out on a filling station in my garage so its more user friendly, installed correctly the nos will not damage your engine at all but you will get much better results using a progressive controller, the limiting factor in your engine would really be the pistons unless you go really silly but for 100-150 you would be fine. At that rate it will be used pretty quick, if I run my system at its max I would use a bottle every 2 runs.

Look at the nos haters go!!!

Nos is sound mate I've run it on all my cars over the last ten years + and never had any problems!

Its really simple and great fun, I wouldn't listen to the haters, it's only when your running silly amounts of bhp and boost nos can be a bit more complicated.

On a N/a it would be fine with a 100bhp squirt....lol

If u have a full 7.5kg bottle with a 70-100bhp jet running it costs about £38 to fill and would last upto 2.5mins on full throttle, and when u think u will prob have a 0-60 time of under 6 secs, 2.5mins is allot of races off the line to beat those saxos at the lights..... Lol

Buy a kit and get it fitted at afr mate, dude knows exactly what he's doing when it comes to nos!

All the best fella!

In all fairness mate its probably people that have never actually had any dealings with or tried NOS who hate it. People who have had it and used it, realise its not a limitless supply of power, but also realise it is something that can be installed to notch you up to a very quick car that can be done safely and a hell of a lot cheaper then opting for the turbo route ;)

Just another question to ad to the mix, what are insurance companies like regarding NOS ?

Also as far as rd use is concerned doesnt this workout very costly in the longrun compared to running a bpu'd tt fuel wise ?

Just another question to ad to the mix, what are insurance companies like regarding NOS ?

Also as far as rd use is concerned doesnt this workout very costly in the longrun compared to running a bpu'd tt fuel wise ?

Dunk, we all know you wont get this stuff covered under insurance, dont even bother trying to. Keep it quiet, be sensible and if shit does go wrong, rip it out ASAP !

And Im sure you could say in the long you might spend more, after 10 years of re-filling bottles at xyz a time, but then you could also say turbo's can be expensive in the long run ;) How many people have blown a turbo and are on their 2, 3rd or even 4th turbo, so add that up, plus mapping, its all swings and roundabouts Dunk.

There's a saying people......if you dont have anything good to say, its usually better to say nothing at all ;)

Dunk, we all know you wont get this stuff covered under insurance, dont even bother trying to. Keep it quiet, be sensible and if $#@! does go wrong, rip it out ASAP !

And Im sure you could say in the long you might spend more, after 10 years of re-filling bottles at xyz a time, but then you could also say turbo's can be expensive in the long run ;) How many people have blown a turbo and are on their 2, 3rd or even 4th turbo, so add that up, plus mapping, its all swings and roundabouts Dunk.

There's a saying people......if you dont have anything good to say, its usually better to say nothing at all ;)

:wtfsign:

Have you read what you posted ? you say be sensible in your first sentence yet your admitting your insurance will probably be void so incase of emergency rip it all off before someone notices lmao is that really being sensible ?

Trying to compare having NOS on an NA for a few minutes which still wont get you to bpu'tt level to having a reliable 400 hp with a bpu tt just doesnt stack up ?

How is it cost effective when 2 minutes will cost you £40 approx, lets just say you used your 2 mins once a day so then times that by say 5 times a week, thats £200 in NOS + the petrol, now in a bpu tt it wouldnt cost anything like that for 10 mins of decent hp which as you know you can have all the time or whenever you want it.

I think your comments regarding turbos are more at the single club and not on a stock twin set up running 1.2 bar, mine for instance are still the originals at 130,000 miles and showing no signs of any problems and producing a healthy 400 ish hp :)

Then to your last comment "Theres a saying people.....if you don't have anything good to say, it's usually better to say nothing at all"

My comments in this thread have been asking questions, i've never asked an insurance company if they'll cover NOS so have no idea if anyone would and if they would how much would it put up your premium by, im sure others dont know either.

Also my comments on running costs, in comparison to having a bpu'd tt to a NOS injected NA its a non starter for rd use as it'll cost you a fortune for very little use, fine on the strip but not on the rd.

This isnt slagging NOS off, its a discussion about the pro's and cons ;)

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

No need for apologies Ash but lets have an honest open discussion and look at the pro's and cons

which in this subject are many

I agree, but I've also learnt of my time on forums that unless its a very technical/engineering/mathematic discussion peoples opinions just turn into arguments, mainly because I dont think you can have a controversial discusssion over text as there is no tone, humour or facial expression carried, so for those reasons on all forums I work by the rule of "unlessn what I have is good to say", I keep quite.

I was just trying to point out that NOS has it limitations yes, its a cheap fix, that probably works out to be a more expensive fix in the long run yes, but just because of that, it doesnt mean someone like this chap would be wrong to fit a system for a few months and have a blast without all the haters giving it the "it'll blow your engine, it'll blow your intake welds etc" joke :D quoted from a film ;), what would your insurance say etc, etc......

I'll put all this down to be quite tired at the moment ;)