The mkiv Supra Owners Club

replacing vivaro starter motor

barneybrendan

I've got one at work with a duff starter. I took one look and didnt even attempt it, we just bump the thing every morning. If you ever find a way that doesnt involve pulling the motor, please let me know :)

I thought you might :D

I bumped the idle up too so it wasn't as easy to stall, because you look a right tw4t at the lights getting out and pushing it!

• 7 months later...

finally got the starter out not too bad a job realy.,but noticed the exhaust manifold is cracked and its all very sooty around that area.Starter is caked in soot.The van was a bugger to start at time ,would the cracked exhaust manifold cause problems.I am now thinking do i try and remove it or leave it and just do the starter.

mate its easy really i done it on my back with van on axle stands.If you werent so far away i would .

1.once van is jacked up remove drivers wheel and inner arch cover.

2.undo exhaust clamp(the one that joins the system to the pipe going to the cat)

3.undo 2 10mm nuts holding exhaust to the cat.(i couldnt as mine are rounded)

4.from wheel arch remove the bracket that holds the cat 10mm nut and 50 star drive.

5.undo the 4 nuts holding the cat to the turbo

6.remove cat(i had to leave it there but just move it around )

you can now see the starter

unclip the thick wirring loom that hides the starter bolts.

7.undo the bolts that hold the support plate and the starter in position (there is a small bracket that needs romoving first to get at the top bolt)

8.undo the 2 wires to the starter

9.hey presto its off

a light is also handy to see all the bolts.bolt sizes were 10mm 13mm torque number 50.long extension bars were handy and a 13mm ratchet spanner.

Edited by barneybrendan (see edit history)

• 5 years later...
Guest heelandsrocky

Hi, Braneybrenden I just want to say thanks for your help in the step by step description on how to remove the starter motor, , Im a mechanic ,but I never touch Renaults as a rule, but this one belongs to me. its one if not the worst starter to replace. But that's typical of French cars... once finished, I breathed a sigh of relief.. bi [GRIN][/GRIN]