why has the uk got a bonnet scoop ?

chris aka fonz

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alex, you miss my point. I don't care why it's there. I don't like it and wouldn't have it on my car. Aesthetics, cost, legislation and speed limits are your guesses why it has, or hasn't been added.

What I have been questioning is all the performance/engine cooling claims that are crap.

Despite your original post and a handful of others, everyone has said its for extra 'required' cooling. As a blanket statement I said 'prove it'.

I don't have the answers to why it was added, but I would bet an awfulk lot of money that it's not performance/cooling based.

I'd heard that whilst testing at high speeds for prolonged periods of time, the exhaust manifold started to show hairline fractures. Hence the 'Euro' car getting the scoop, which prevented this.

I'm perfectly happy with that explanation and it could very easily be true. However, the only way we'll ever know for certain is either Toyota to confirm or explain another reason. Or, get two identical cars, one with scoop and one without, and get them to charge up and down the German Autobahns for a few days, then rip them apart for analysis.... :)

Aside from that, I think it's a stuck-on ugly thing, and don't really care anyway :D

I'd heard that whilst testing at high speeds for prolonged periods of time, the exhaust manifold started to show hairline fractures. Hence the 'Euro' car getting the scoop, which prevented this.

I'm perfectly happy with that explanation and it could very easily be true. However, the only way we'll ever know for certain is either Toyota to confirm or explain another reason. Or, get two identical cars, one with scoop and one without, and get them to charge up and down the German Autobahns for a few days, then rip them apart for analysis.... :)

Aside from that, I think it's a stuck-on ugly thing, and don't really care anyway :D

Okay, thats obviously it. I'll stop driving my J-spec in case the engine cracks then.

I give up with the whole scoop thing. :giveup: :run:

Okay, thats obviously it. I'll stop driving my J-spec in case the engine cracks then.

I give up with the whole scoop thing. :giveup: :run:

LOL, Have yout continously driven at 155mph for about 3-4 hours non-stop? - Do you not think it's concievable that Toyota may have tested for this?

As I said earlier, I really don't give a hoot, but it sounds feasable...

LOL, Have yout continously driven at 155mph for about 3-4 hours non-stop? - Do you not think it's concievable that Toyota may have tested for this?

465 miles on a tankful @ 155mph? That would be nice! :p :D

We go round in cirlces. I obviously wouldn't drive like that. But neither would anyone in the UK. How does that explain why the scoop is there?

If you're going to say German Autobahn, why didn't they only put the scoop on German cars and save the money on the rest of them?

Becasue there's a chance another European could be driven in Germany? What about the import market from Japan? If this was a problem they would have added the scoop to the cars knowing that alot of them get imported to the UK/Europe.

Ahhhh, fcuk it :drown:

465 miles on a tankful @ 155mph? That would be nice!

:respekt:

well chaps this question has a little bit more significance for me, 'cause my bonnet is a bit f00ked and I don't like the scoop too much, so I'm having a J-Spec bonnet retro-fitted.

Hope it doesn't cause me any problems :eek:

Hope it doesn't cause me any problems :eek:

I don't think it will cause you any difference mate, not in a police state like the UK anyway.

As said time and again, this is meant to alleviate heat related effects at prolonged high-speed, full-boost operation something only possible in Autobahns, oval circuits etc.

Not likely in the UK, you'll be nicked well before any cracks appear in the manifold

The closest I've been to such a Cannonball run in the UK has been London (well, just off M4 J5) to Glasgow (southern, near the Barras) in 4 hours + one stop for fuel.

No I didn't get done, but they did chase me down on the way back because I got cheeky :rtfm: .

I weaseled myself free in a slimy sort of way, but the risk of a prison sentence (serious speeds) is not worth the adrenaline rush, if I may say:innocent: