The mkiv Supra Owners Club

why has the uk got a bonnet scoop ?

chris aka fonz

Well now, I thought the bonnet scoop was fitted because of a problem with cracked cylinder heads (or something like that) due to excessive heat build up on the Supra Mk III. Don't go getting all shirty anyone with 'oh how can it be cracked cylinder heads when heat doesn't cause this, etc, etc', I just vaguely recall some reoccuring problem with the Mk IIIs to do with excessive heat build up that meant some part near the top of the engine had to be replaced a lot and the scoop on the Mk IV was designed to combat this. If anyone from the Mk III days can confirm or deny this then that might be useful.

No idea why it was only fitted to the UK cars though. Did the Mk III problem only manifest itself in this country or something?

As for the headlamp washers, I wonder if they weren't fitted to the US car because of their strict pedestrian safety laws around bumpers and things...? Two prongs poking out the front might fall foul of their laws.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's all hypothetical unless we get a definitive answer from the designers. Which I don't expect in a hurry.

It looks like an after thought doesn't it? Maybe we are meant to believe the extra 30bhpish difference and climate requires the extra cooling,

I wonder what the next competitive car was at the time? Did it have big vents and washers? Hmmm - Marketing stunt?

Excuse me stewardess, I speak jive... I mean Japanese. Nihongo ga wakarimasen, desho? I gave you the answers earlier, if you don't believe me, call Toyota of Japan! Most of the customer service people speak Engrish there. End of story.

I'm glad you speak Japanese, but I doubt that "fonz" can, and anyway, I don't really care about the bonnet vent as I don't like it. Much prefer the smoother, non water retaining Jap bonnet that I currently have......

Much prefer the smoother, non water retaining Jap bonnet that I currently have......

I think the Jap bonnet is too large an area to be left smooth, the scoop IMO breaks it up nicely and ive never had any problems with water retention! In fact you only get the odd drop get through and the engine heat normally deals with that.

BTW another angle on this debate (zzzzzzzzz)

If the scoop is for a reason? ie. Ventilation to the rear of the engine, what if you change to an after market bonnet from a UK one?

Would this then cause an issue?

Lets face it most of the cars over here dont have the lovely scoop and ive not heard of any failures from overheating?

Dave :littled:

I think the Jap bonnet is too large an area to be left smooth, the scoop IMO breaks it up nicely and ive never had any problems with water retention! In fact you only get the odd drop get through and the engine heat normally deals with that.

I was referring more to the water the scoop retains after you wash your car.

I doubt it really makes a difference TBH, but we will never fully know, unless the designers at Toyota tell us.

The reason I kept asking questions was because people kept offering comments as if they were proven facts about why the scoop was added.

I don't beleive the unjustified offerings we've been given so far, none of you can prove one way or the other, so why offer pointless speculation diguised as factual information?

I don't really care why it's there, but I will express adjective opinions to babble.

Toyota, in a large majority of instances, don't know their arse from their elbow, phoning will get you nowhere.

As for people posting in the thread complaining about it and asking it to be locked down, don't read it if your that bothered about it.

What is pathetic is posting in a thread to say how pathetic you think it is. Grow up or fuck off.

Just a thought but may be worth sticking a post on a American Supra forum as they may know the answer ?

Good idea.

What is pathetic is posting in a thread to say how pathetic you think it is. Grow up or fuck off.

So, Jspec gives you the answer and you say blah blah blah don't believe you...what would it take for you to believe him?

What imperical evidence is it that you need that you can't be arsed to get yourself??

Give reasons why you don't believe the answers and maybe you'd find people more willing to think about it instead of feeling like they are banging their head against a brick wall. You only get out of a thread what you put in.

Please state a reason for each and every suggestion being wrong:

1. Aesthetics (Toyota reviewed the market and decided that a car that didn't sell would be worse than one that wasn't optimally cooled)

2. Cost (A plain bonnet is far cheaper than a scooped one)

3. Local Legislation (Pedestrian impact issue (the scoop would probably connect with a ped's head))

4. Speed Limit (The US has no de-limited roads (whether it's possible or not) but Europe does.)

From this thread I think the answer is that the US car should have a scoop for added safety for the engine, but, in the US they wouldn't sell the car with the scoop as well as without...so they decided to not supply it as standard. This also allowed them to save money. And the decision wouldn't have been taken if *legally* the US had limit free (autobahn style) roads.

I think that's completely logical and I'd love to hear your better version of events.

Guest chiefvinso

LOL, all over a bonnet vent that obviously doesnt hinder reliability on non scooped cars.

Its quite funny really, since I have gone and bought one (still waiting for its arrival - supra that is) I joined this site and thought it would be a good place for info (which it is), but there is still that my car is not inferior to yours going on. If its na versus tt's, bonnet sccoops on uk, jspecs. Its time for a group hug (preferable with women please :love: )

So, Jspec gives you the answer and you say blah blah blah don't believe you...what would it take for you to believe him?

What imperical evidence is it that you need that you can't be arsed to get yourself??

Give reasons why you don't believe the answers and maybe you'd find people more willing to think about it instead of feeling like they are banging their head against a brick wall. You only get out of a thread what you put in.

Please state a reason for each and every suggestion being wrong:

1. Aesthetics (Toyota reviewed the market and decided that a car that didn't sell would be worse than one that wasn't optimally cooled)

2. Cost (A plain bonnet is far cheaper than a scooped one)

3. Local Legislation (Pedestrian impact issue (the scoop would probably connect with a ped's head))

4. Speed Limit (The US has no de-limited roads (whether it's possible or not) but Europe does.)

From this thread I think the answer is that the US car should have a scoop for added safety for the engine, but, in the US they wouldn't sell the car with the scoop as well as without...so they decided to not supply it as standard. This also allowed them to save money. And the decision wouldn't have been taken if *legally* the US had limit free (autobahn style) roads.

I think that's completely logical and I'd love to hear your better version of events.

Alex, you miss my point. I don't care why it's there. I don't like it and wouldn't have it on my car. Aesthetics, cost, legislation and speed limits are your guesses why it has, or hasn't been added.

What I have been questioning is all the performance/engine cooling claims that are crap.

Despite your original post and a handful of others, everyone has said its for extra 'required' cooling. As a blanket statement I said 'prove it'.

I don't have the answers to why it was added, but I would bet an awfulk lot of money that it's not performance/cooling based.

I suggest it is to lure the traditional British sports car driver over to the new Jap Scene by making the Sup look like an Austin Healy 3000, thus...

Like two peas in the same pod, separated at birth, ooh which ones the supra, I'm just confused now.

TwoPeas.jpg

Alex, you miss my point. I don't care why it's there. I don't like it and wouldn't have it on my car. Aesthetics, cost, legislation and speed limits are your guesses why it has, or hasn't been added.

What I have been questioning is all the performance/engine cooling claims that are crap.

Despite your original post and a handful of others, everyone has said its for extra 'required' cooling. As a blanket statement I said 'prove it'.

I don't have the answers to why it was added, but I would bet an awfulk lot of money that it's not performance/cooling based.

So what you want to know is; how much cooler is the area that the scoop guides air to compared to a J-spec/US supra?

Is that right? In which case why didn't you just say that!

But if you think Toyota are into wasting money on R&D just to add a scoop for the hell of it then I think you're sadly mistaken.

So what you want to know is; how much cooler is the area that the scoop guides air to compared to a J-spec/US supra?

Is that right? In which case why didn't you just say that!

But if you think Toyota are into wasting money on R&D just to add a scoop for the hell of it then I think you're sadly mistaken.

No. I want people to stop guessing that it's a performance/cooling modification and provide some evidence if they are going to insist that it is.

I don't want to know how much cooler it is either. I can't see from my posts how you got that impression.

I bet they did do R&D, who knows? Maybe they just decided to put one on for the Euro market beacuse they thought us Europeans would like it, who knows?

I think it's more a question of demographics rather than R&D.

I suggest it is to lure the traditional British sports car driver over to the new Jap Scene by making the Sup look like an Austin Healy 3000, thus...

Like two peas in the same pod, separated at birth, ooh which ones the supra, I'm just confused now.

Why did it have to be red and where are the goggles and silly hat?

No. I want people to stop guessing that it's a performance/cooling modification and provide some evidence if they are going to insist that it is.

It's a giant hole positioned in a way that cold air flows in and down into the engine via a very well positioned 'tube' that mates up with the scoop. I can't see how it could be anything but a means to add further cooling... the cosmetics are just an extra benefit.

As to why certain cars have it and others don't.... no idea but they look bare without them :)

It's a giant hole positioned in a way that cold air flows in and down into the engine via a very well positioned 'tube' that mates up with the scoop. I can't see how it could be anything but a means to add further cooling... the cosmetics are just an extra benefit.

:)

I would think the opposite may be true. ;)

It's there for cosmetic reasons and extra cooling is the added benefit. It would be stupid to put the scoop on and then not add the ducting aswell.

Nice to get the extra cooling if it's necessary or not!

Who knows or cares though ? :)

As to why certain cars have it and others don't.... no idea but they look bare without them :)[/quote}

Well put, it's hard to argue with that air ducting tube thing. It's for cooling. That's a fact. Too bad it doesn't make the car look cool. Just makes it look over-done and takes away from the look of the car. Was it only on UK spec cars or Euro's too? Same car?

Right, I wrote an email yesterday to an old contact of mine that used to work at TMEM, which is the Toyota vehicle validation technical centre in Brussels, he now works at the Higashi-Fuji technical centre in Japan. I asked him if he could get me any information on this topic and possibly some others.

He replied to me, and has told me that he has been told that the original body and engine head designers are still working for Toyota and he should be able to track them downfor me with time. If I do get in touch with them, then I will be able to answer the original question.......

......whether anyone will believe me and Toyota though........:p

I would think the opposite may be true. ;)

It's there for cosmetic reasons and extra cooling is the added benefit. It would be stupid to put the scoop on and then not add the ducting aswell.

Nice to get the extra cooling if it's necessary or not!

A valid approach, not one I agree with but valid all the same ;)

I just think that if it was cosmetic they would have left it at the scoop and sold it on the idea of addtional cold air into the engine bay in general. One idea I had was that due to TRD being well established in other regions perhaps those who felt the need for cooling would invest in a TRD bonnet as a dealer option whereas we Euro types only had TTE to fall back on in the mid 90's and they didn't seem to like the Supra much :thumbdown - actually now I read that back it doesn't sound all that sensible but I'll chuck it into the mix anyway ;)

None of the pics in my UK brochure show a scoop BTW, they all have the US spec photos.

And what's going on here? Looks like a Toyota dealership, car looks pretty mind (maybe new?) but its a LHD aero with scooooop:

And what's going on here? Looks like a Toyota dealership, car looks pretty mind (maybe new?) but its a LHD aero with scooooop:

Thats a German mkIV...cause of the licenceplaceholder :) And...all Euro-specs got the scoop...both UK AND mainland europe :)