The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Front brake disc won't budge

jackso11

No its not off yet, I tookthe other 3 off with no bother but this one was stuck. I posted incase I was being dumb and there was somehting holding it on that was missing from the other side as I have never taken discs off before.

I am sure the 10mm bolt in the threads will work fine but I am not home in time to do it in the evenings (afraid of the dark you see). So will get to it at the weekend. :D

Not with my method their not ;) :D

What is your method for the rears? My fronts pulled off with ease, very slight bite in the hub bore but a little wiggle and they were off.

Rears I had to chok up the fronts, disengage the handbrake, wind in the handbrake adjuster in the hub by rotating the disc to the correct position and winding in the cog with a screw driver (fiddly), lightly tap around the outside of the disc hub to get the shoes to adjust in fully, pull like a maniac to get any movement at all and finally managed to ease them off pulling side to side. Obviously using bolts would have made the latter part easier, even if it would have taken longer, but I still see the rears as far harder than the fronts.

Rears took me WAY longer than the fronts to do properly.

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

No its not off yet, I tookthe other 3 off with no bother but this one was stuck. I posted incase I was being dumb and there was somehting holding it on that was missing from the other side as I have never taken discs off before.

I am sure the 10mm bolt in the threads will work fine but I am not home in time to do it in the evenings (afraid of the dark you see). So will get to it at the weekend. :D

As previously said it might be 8mm, 10mm does seem very large to me from what I remember. (Edit: Confirmed by Chris, slow internet :D )

There isn't an allen cap screw holding it in place is there? On the disc hub face? I have something in my head that there might be 2 screws holding it in place, might have been a dream I had though :D

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

rears were easy, I have all my wheels off and the car on stands so it was just hand brake off, hand on each side of the disc and pull and wiggle until it was off. One side was slightly more difficult than the other but no real dramas there. Other front just popped off easy, then found the stuck one. Will give 8mm bolts a go and let you know how it goes.

No visible screws Scott, you need to get better dreams. haha :D

rears were easy, I have all my wheels off and the car on stands so it was just hand brake off, hand on each side of the disc and pull and wiggle until it was off. One side was slightly more difficult than the other but no real dramas there. Other front just popped off easy, then found the stuck one. Will give 8mm bolts a go and let you know how it goes.

No visible screws Scott, you need to get better dreams. haha :D

Sounds like your handbrake may need a little adjusting. Unless of course the rear discs were new. Check your shoes regardless as the first time I swapped over rear discs I was left with bits of shoe everywhere thanks to the rubber mallet method (mechanism was a little siezed so wouldn't let go of the disc).

Might have been the MR2, or it might actually HAVE been a dream. I remember a set of front discs having a countersunk allen screw on them. Stopped me in my tracks till I spotted it lol.

adjusting to make the handbrake tighter you mean?probably right for the driverside, it came off easily. Passenger side was tight so I think it was about right.

Another job I have never done, I have no idea what good or bad handbrake shoes look like but I would imagine they last for years and years.

Do they actually have a part that wears out? or are they just metal that clamps the inside of the disc?

adjusting to make the handbrake tighter you mean?probably right for the driverside, it came off easily. Passenger side was tight so I think it was about right.

Another job I have never done, I have no idea what good or bad handbrake shoes look like but I would imagine they last for years and years.

Do they actually have a part that wears out? or are they just metal that clamps the inside of the disc?

My discs had a lip on the inside, this meant that the handbrake had to be adjusted in order for the shoes to clear the disc. Corrosion builds around the inner hub the older the discs get meaning that in order to get them off you have to loosen off the shoes. The fact that you didn't have to would tell me your discs are either mint in that area or your handbrake takes a LOT of clicks to actually engage hence the needing adjusted comment.

The shoe material is very similar to brake pads, they do last many many moons with regards to wear, the trouble is that they can chip if the disc is removed in a rough manner (as I found out). There is a minimum coating thickness and also a maximum chipping limit. Best to check out the online manuals to see what is what :)

I reckon my rear discs have been changed not too long ago as they don't have much wear on them, Probably by the last owner. There was no groove on the inside of them but I will whip them off again before putting my brakes back on to check. When adjusting do you just adjust until the shoes are almost touching the inside of the disc? I am guessing you can see through a hole to do this.

I reckon my rear discs have been changed not too long ago as they don't have much wear on them, Probably by the last owner. There was no groove on the inside of them but I will whip them off again before putting my brakes back on to check. When adjusting do you just adjust until the shoes are almost touching the inside of the disc? I am guessing you can see through a hole to do this.

With the discs on you just wind the shoes out (with the handbrake off) until they are rubbing on the disc. You should be able to hear them rubbing but still able to turn the disc (you may need to have it in neutral and both wheels off the deck to check this). The rubbing noise will go away after a bit of driving. Have both sides like this then give the handbrake a yank, hopefully it should bind in a couple of clicks. If it does, job done, if not then your cable might be stretched and in need of some adjusting handbrake handle side.