The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake problems after service - help!

lust2luv

I had my car serviced at a Toyota dealership last week (incl brake fluid change). When I picked it up I immediately noticed the brake pedal was very soft, seemed to make a slight hissing noise when pressed and didn't bite until pressed right in. Was fine before, doesn't feel safe now.

Possibly related, the engine now idles really high (2K revs) whenever the engine is started, before dropping down to normal after a few minutes.

I initially thought they'd left some air in my lines, but after a bit of googling am wondering if it's the brake booster? Any of you technical dudes have any idea what they might have done? Would like a bit of an insight before I take it back to them.

Many thanks in advance. :)

I personally would have gone straight back with the car as soon as i noticed

something wasn't right. Especially brakes.

I would have done but they were just closing and I'd been sick all week and just wanted to get it home.

Any other theories? If it just needs bleeding, why the raised revs and the wheezy pedal?

That's the clutch fluid. It's a closed system and should not be below minimum.

Shouldn't have anything to do with the issue at hand.

Get the car to Toyota regarding the brakes unles you want to bleed them yourself...

Is the sound there whenever you press the brake? I've had a sound somewhat like that for some time. Only once in a while. I can let off the brakes and apply again and it will be gone. I can't figure what it is. Sounds electrical.. I've just upgraded the brake system this weekend with UK calipers, TRD discs, bled the brakes and all. I'm looking forward to finding out if the sound is stil there. Let's know if its the same sound you have and if you find out what it is. Apparently, in my case, it doesn't affect anything at all. As mentioned, it sounds electrical..

regarding the revs, it's probably just a bit of air in the cooling system. That should solve itself over the next 10 times you run the car. Otherwise you could just park the car up a hill on a cold engine and run it a bit with the radiator cap off. You should see bubbles comming out.

Edited by bodilx6 (see edit history)

Sounds to me like the brake booster is off.

There should be a line from around the brake reservoir to the intake manifold. Have a look and see if it has been pulled off.

If it isn't an easy fix, definitely get it back to Toyota.

HTH

Sounds to me like the brake booster is off.

There should be a line from around the brake reservoir to the intake manifold. Have a look and see if it has been pulled off.

If it isn't an easy fix, definitely get it back to Toyota.

HTH

I would agree, a leak on the vac hose from the top of the inlet plenum on a TT to the servo itself.

Thanks Scott/Chris, that's more what I was thinking. I take it there's nothing obviously amiss in the above photo? (It's an NA BTW) Will have another look at it after work.

Ahh, I'm not sure how the N/A works in that respect. It could account for the increase in revs though, as if there was a hose from the intake to the brake booster, and it had a leak, it would allow more air in during closed throttle thus increasing the revs.

What is the hose coming off the upper left area of the booster (black with tie wrap and metal clip holding it on)? Where does that go to?