The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Undertray trouble

jackso11

I'm just guessing here but did you buy cheap tools or did you spend some money on decent kit? A good easy out kit will cost a fair few quid to buy, cheap ones will be brittle and snap with ease.

There are hammer in easy outs, they look more like reamers than taps though. The one I linked to is a LH thread cutting easy out, they don't get hammered in.

This is the one I bought...Was all i could find in a rush.. Will have to check for a good one..

http://www.amazon.com/Pcs-Easy-Out-Screw-Extractors/dp/B000W2950W

Scott M, could you post a pic of yours for reference?

This is the one I bought...Was all i could find in a rush.. Will have to check for a good one..

http://www.amazon.com/Pcs-Easy-Out-Screw-Extractors/dp/B000W2950W

Scott M, could you post a pic of yours for reference?

Yeah those are rubbish, that is the kit that I found while trying to find out what to search for with regards to the handle.

I don't actually have any unfortunately, we use them in the work every now and again when studs/bolts get snapped on components. We get most of our stuff from Buck & Hickmen and Farnell in one though. They won't be expensive as such, they are fairly cheap tools to buy afterall, but paying that little including the handle won't make for a good product.

I would expect to pay around a tenner for a couple of decent extractors, no handle or anything like that. A full decent kit would probably be around £20 at a guess. Always go with a brand :)

First one was a friends set. It was probably cheap. Then i bought another set from halfords. Their stuff is normally pretty tuff but still broke off. It was a whole £12 for the set lol.

That's strange, every tool I bought from Halfords was sh!t..!!

I have no doubt that the extractors can work, but the big problem for an amateur is that if (when :)) it snaps, you're stuffed, because it is hardened steel and you won't be able to drill it out.

I would either drill and tap to the next size up, or drill the snapped off screw and use hex-headed self tappers.

I have no doubt that the extractors can work, but the big problem for an amateur is that if (when :)) it snaps, you're stuffed, because it is hardened steel and you won't be able to drill it out.

I would either drill and tap to the next size up, or drill the snapped off screw and use hex-headed self tappers.

Well, I am definitely an amateur and thats exactly what happened to me..

But you learn the hard way with these things...