The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT Failure !!

Samsar

It goes by the engine code, should they not be able to find the car by the reg number, so if you put a 2jz gte engine in it should have the cat test even though the car was originally an NA, unless of course the mot tester has done them before and just puts it down as a non datbase NA. NA engine code 2jz ge is not on the datbase as that engine was never fitted to anything Toyota ever sold as a Uk car, where the 2jz gte is the same engine code as a Uk TT, hence the need for a TT J spec to have a Cat test, doesn't matter if its an import or not, engine was used in a Uk car so it will be on the database where the Na is not and never will be.

All the Op should need to do is print of the sheet from the Mot manual and take the car back and ask for a re test as a non cat as that is cleary what the NA should have done.

So what happens to those with NA-TT conversions? Does it still go by vehicle chassis number?

One of the quirks of the MOT system is that the emissions test is based on the older of the chassis and engine, so if you fitted, say, a 1968 small block Chevy in a 2010 BMW, or a 2010 BMW V10 in a '68 Corvette, the result would be tested as a 1968 car.

One of the quirks of the MOT system is that the emissions test is based on the older of the chassis and engine, so if you fitted, say, a 1968 small block Chevy in a 2010 BMW, or a 2010 BMW V10 in a '68 Corvette, the result would be tested as a 1968 car.

I thought that only worked 1 way, ie the 2010 BMW with the 68 motor is the old not too much smoke test and the 68 with the 2010 will have a 2010 mot !!!!!

I thought that only worked 1 way, ie the 2010 BMW with the 68 motor is the old not too much smoke test and the 68 with the 2010 will have a 2010 mot !!!!!

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s07000301.htm

Vehicles fitted with a different engine:

Test according to which is older, engine or vehicle.

One of those rare win-win situations! :)

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

Cheers for your info guy's ..

I popped into a test centre in Derby today for some info and showed him my fail sheet ..

He went through his VOSA book and it seems the guy who done my test is a c**k ..

He said it should never have failed on my figures and to go back and tell him politely to do it properly ..

Thanks again for your help and thanks Neo for the PM :)

Update ;

I spoke to the tester today regarding my/our belief that he didn't do the correct emission's test to which he started getting all

arsey...

He said if I had written documentation from the DVLA he would re-test it. I said I had and would be in with it to prove him wrong.

I went round there a couple of hours later to sort it out and there was a Test Certificate all ready done out with my Reg on it :)

So now I have a brand new MOT with no advisories at all.All because of the help you guys gave me in putting a stubborn tester in his place :)

Thanks everyone for all your advice it was very much appreciated

:thanks:

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s07000301.htm

Vehicles fitted with a different engine:

Test according to which is older, engine or vehicle.

One of those rare win-win situations! :)

Thats nice to know as I've got my MOT coming next month and the engine in it is meant to a '96 but the car is a '93 with the first cat removed :p

Glad you got your Cert sorted in the end.

Cool...

End of the day, at worst if it ws sat on your forecourt, i'd just say it had them when tested then they were removed! We actually have people bring their car for an MOT with the cat in the boot, pay for us to fit them, test it, then take the cat off again! Bloody chavs!

That's what I do. But just incase the friendly place are not so friendly any mote lol. Last 2 years they haven't moved when I picked the car up still in the bags :)