The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Winter Hibernation Over!!!

Jellybean

Mine is garaged every year from the end of aug/sept until march/april. I took mine of the road after suprapod so not sure I can wait until april.

I only tax it six months a year but insurance I leave as it is. I must check if they do some kind of layed up cover, still fully comp but cheaper as it isn't on the road through all the bad weather so a much lower risk?

Exactly, just another tax to pay. and if you dont pay it u will be fined. You refuse to pay that ur car can be towed. Like to see them get the car out of my electric garage door and electric gates to the house. Oh and a 100lb dog that patrols the garden

That can't be right. It is law to have insurance on a UK road but not on private land. Possibly a misquote, or a threat? There is no way they can bring that in legally. It isn't tax, it is insurance... totally different.

And when u pay insurance what is also paid? TAX. This government is trying to pass a law that all vehicles whether on rd/driveway or garage must be insured. Its to try and help cut out uninsured drivers. They hoping to pass it in spring time.

This seems to suggest its already passed but dont think it has

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/whats_new_feb11_all_vehicles_kept_off-road_must_be_insured.htm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/6195021/Owners-of-uninsured-cars-face-new-fines-under-new-Government-curbs.html

New law if the car is taxed it has to also be insured

The Department for Transport (DfT) announced a package of measures to crack down on the estimated two million motorists on our roads driving without insurance. The measures followed the recommendations of Professor David Greenaway’s review of motor insurance in the UK.

Download 'Uninsured driving in the United Kingdom' (PDF, 233K)The DfT is in continuing discussions with the police and the insurance industry to work out the most effective way to crack down on uninsured driving. Provisions in the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005 enable the police to use their access to the Motor Insurance Database in conjunction with their Automatic Number Plate Reading equipment. As a result the police are now seizing around 1,500 uninsured vehicles per week.

The continuous insurance enforcement scheme will provide a new fixed penalty for people who ignore official reminders that their insurance has expired. This will apply to vehicles that are not declared as being off the road through SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) and not insured. Continuing offenders will risk having their vehicle seized and destroyed.

Where a motor vehicle isn't used on a road or other public place, there’s no requirement to purchase insurance cover for 'on road risk' as long as a SORN declaration has been made. The continuous insurance enforcement scheme is expected to come into force during 2011.

Taken from http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_067639

And when u pay insurance what is also paid? TAX. This government is trying to pass a law that all vehicles whether on rd/driveway or garage must be insured. Its to try and help cut out uninsured drivers. They hoping to pass it in spring time.

This seems to suggest its already passed but dont think it has

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/whats_new_feb11_all_vehicles_kept_off-road_must_be_insured.htm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/6195021/Owners-of-uninsured-cars-face-new-fines-under-new-Government-curbs.html

Just read your links. The key is in this quote

•you have a valid Statutory Off Road Notice (SORN) or

So it is still exactly as I remember it. If you don't tax your car, you don't need to have it insured. You can't have roadtax on a vehicle without insurance.

Yes if it is declared off rd ie SORN no insurance is required. No mention of SORN and insurance requirement was made. If it is taxed you know are legally required to have insurance. Before you could have tax but no insurance if kept on your drive way.

You can't have roadtax on a vehicle without insurance.

You cant buy roadtax without insurance but you can have road tax without insurance.

i.e: Previously i cancelled my insurance as i was not driving the car. I left it taxed for a couple of months as i did not want the hassle of sending the tax disc back. Under new laws government are trying to pass this would be an offence.

If it was set law they wouldnt be trying to pass new laws for it.

Yes if it is declared off rd ie SORN no insurance is required. No mention of SORN and insurance requirement was made. If it is taxed you know are legally required to have insurance. Before you could have tax but no insurance if kept on your drive way.

You cant buy roadtax without insurance but you can have road tax without insurance.

i.e: Previously i cancelled my insurance as i was not driving the car. I left it taxed for a couple of months as i did not want the hassle of sending the tax disc back. Under new laws government are trying to pass this would be an offence.

If it was set law they wouldnt be trying to pass new laws for it.

Not sure where we got our wires crossed there but that is how I have always understood it. You can't have an uninsured car on a public road, yes you could have it in a garage etc but why on earth would you legitimately have the car in the garage, uninsured and not declared sorn? It seems the aparent change is to catch out people who cancel their insurance yet continue to drive, it shouldn't make any difference to anyone honest at all.