The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coilovers - what's recommended?

benkei

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 pages of reading so I thought I would just ask the question straight up lol

Aye I've been back for a year now,workin in 'the garage' in Motherwell,u still in r-r ?seen your car build post,it's lookin very nice.

Yeah mate, up the testbeds.

Opinions will vary in regards to the Tein. I think the HSDs will be better made tbh as I think you will be paying a fair chunk of change for the Tein brand more than anything. Also the HSD height can be adjusted without altering the spring rate, the lower range teins can't.

Hows it going in there? Enjoying it?

I'm pretty sure that HSDs don't have progressive rate springs, so "pre-loading" or just plain compressing them to change the ride height does't make any difference.

Really? I'm surprised at that. According to the instructions and all the info I could find on setting them up the pre-load is very important to the stability of the car. Too loose and it will feel like jelly, too tight and you will have skittish handling.

Just going on what I read from HSD though.

Really? I'm surprised at that. According to the instructions and all the info I could find on setting them up the pre-load is very important to the stability of the car. Too loose and it will feel like jelly, too tight and you will have skittish handling.

Just going on what I read from HSD though.

Well let me put it this way, the coils on the HSD springs are all uniformly spaced, so the rate must logically be the same (non-progressive). The setup instructions I worked to when installing mine merely said that both sides needed to be set to the same ride height and the spring seats hand-tightened then 3/4 of an extra turn with a spanner to stop them rattling. It is important to get them the same, but remember these are budget coilovers not super high-spec infinitly adjustable ones - nobody would buy el-cheapo suspension and then spend hundreds of pounds getting them set up just right.

Well let me put it this way, the coils on the HSD springs are all uniformly spaced, so the rate must logically be the same (non-progressive). The setup instructions I worked to when installing mine merely said that both sides needed to be set to the same ride height and the spring seats hand-tightened then 3/4 of an extra turn with a spanner to stop them rattling. It is important to get them the same, but remember these are budget coilovers not super high-spec infinitly adjustable ones - nobody would buy el-cheapo suspension and then spend hundreds of pounds getting them set up just right.

Yeah I understand where you are coming from. I think mine said 2 turns from hand tight though, rather than 3/4 of a turn. I was sure that with coilover springs the more compressed they were, the higher the pressure they created. I thought the rating figure came from the stiffness they were at the appropriate pre-load, compressing the spring would increase the tension in the spring. They certainly got harder to turn the more pre-load I put on them :shrug:

Learn every day though.

Yeah I understand where you are coming from. I think mine said 2 turns from hand tight though, rather than 3/4 of a turn. I was sure that with coilover springs the more compressed they were, the higher the pressure they created. I thought the rating figure came from the stiffness they were at the appropriate pre-load, compressing the spring would increase the tension in the spring. They certainly got harder to turn the more pre-load I put on them :shrug:

Learn every day though.

Eh, part of a turn, 2 turns...I don't remember. It wasn't much either way. Still, all you were doing at that point was taking up the slack rather than really compressing the spring. If you'd kept on winding you'd probably have found the effort stayed about the same (ignoring the effect of it feeling harder because it's tiring work), or increased at a linear rate. On a progressive spring the effort required increases at a non-linear rate. Think of this: if you were to wind up the spring seat by 1cm while the car was on its wheels, the car rises by 1cm, but the force compressing the spring remains the same because the car hasn't got any heavier - on a graph of force against compression, you're still at the same point.

Many of the more expensive kits also use non-progressive springs - the Bilstein B2 coilovers that I fitted to the wifes car for example - which only adjust ride height by moving the spring seat. Now, I think that Bilstein know more about suspension than I do, so if that approach works for them, it must be OK.

Edited by Ark (see edit history)

Eh, part of a turn, 2 turns...I don't remember. It wasn't much either way. Still, all you were doing at that point was taking up the slack rather than really compressing the spring. If you'd kept on winding you'd probably have found the effort stayed about the same (ignoring the effect of it feeling harder because it's tiring work), or increased at a linear rate. On a progressive spring the effort required increases at a non-linear rate. Think of this: if you were to wind up the spring seat by 1cm while the car was on its wheels, the car rises by 1cm, but the force compressing the spring remains the same because the car hasn't got any heavier - on a graph of force against compression, you're still at the same point.

Many of the more expensive kits also use non-progressive springs - the Bilstein B2 coilovers that I fitted to the wifes car for example - which only adjust ride height by moving the spring seat. Now, I think that Bilstein know more about suspension than I do, so if that approach works for them, it must be OK.

I would need to try it, I just set them as advised and I have been happy.

Not really sure as I only base my opinion on the Tein SS adjustable coilovers. With them raised to a suitable driving height (spring is compressed) they become rock solid. According to the spring rate figures they are around half that of the equivilant HSDs. In theory this would make them very soft and almost stock like in comfort but they are a million miles away from that. I have driven 3 cars with them installed, 1 was a fresh install and on the softest setting. They were even harder than my TRD suspension with fooked dampers... and that is saying something. The HSDs are far far smoother.

Going by the look of the Tein springs they are very similar to HSDs. They don't seem to be heavier at one end as opposed to the other, or more tightly wound in any area.

Not really sure what to make of it all

Never tried the Teins, but I just looked at some pictures on their website and the spring coils do look very close together. Maybe as the car settled onto them, the compression put them SO close there was no room left to move so they achieved full compression on small bumps - not enough travel to absorb the bump equals a hard crashy ride.

Never tried the Teins, but I just looked at some pictures on their website and the spring coils do look very close together. Maybe as the car settled onto them, the compression put them SO close there was no room left to move so they achieved full compression on small bumps - not enough travel to absorb the bump equals a hard crashy ride.

Ahh, that's probably a good shout. Certainly gives a good explanation of why it could be occuring anyway. You do have to go some way on the pre-load to lift the car off the deck a decent amount. Seems a silly design for the Supra IMO.

Edit: just thinking out loud again. If you think about the spring rate of those tein SS (pretty low at 10kg per mm) there will be a fair bit of compression in them before holding the weight of a supra.

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

Yeah mate, up the testbeds.

Opinions will vary in regards to the Tein. I think the HSDs will be better made tbh as I think you will be paying a fair chunk of change for the Tein brand more than anything. Also the HSD height can be adjusted without altering the spring rate, the lower range teins can't.

Hows it going in there? Enjoying it?

its good work n that but money is awful, just finished payin the loan off i took for the supra so can now start saving up some cash to splash. think i will be investing in a set of hsd's, if people are saying there good and for that price they suit me, had a look at the tien catalogue thats in work and for a set of super streets without top mounts there about 800£...that will have went up since its last year catalogue lol

its good work n that but money is awful, just finished payin the loan off i took for the supra so can now start saving up some cash to splash. think i will be investing in a set of hsd's, if people are saying there good and for that price they suit me, had a look at the tien catalogue thats in work and for a set of super streets without top mounts there about 800£...that will have went up since its last year catalogue lol

They can be had a fair bit cheaper than that if you shop around. Thought you would be in for a fantastic discount :D

Can have a run in my car anytime you like to see what you think of the HSDs.