The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake Calipers - Powdercoat or Paint?

Kilps

Nicest looking set of UKs i've seen, looks like they've been modified a bit too (the outer faces/surfaces look alot smoother than normal, and the little fins/strakes on the outside have vanished)

No major mods done, just a lot of smoothing :D

they look sexual :D

Thankyou, im old school and very fussey :)

Those black ones look nice Dnk! As above, what else has been done to them?

I just spent quite a while prepping them and carefully removed as many casting imperfections as possible.

These were bolted back together for powder coating, the masked off area when they were done was hand painted in high temp matt black paint

calipers 005.jpg

calipers 008.jpg

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How easy is it to fit the new seals? I've been advised by a couple of people that I should either have it done professionally or, if the pistons all move freely, just leave them well alone.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. That sort of thing.

How easy is it to fit the new seals? I've been advised by a couple of people that I should either have it done professionally or, if the pistons all move freely, just leave them well alone.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. That sort of thing.

It really depends what you mean by "freely". The pistons will be difficult to move in and out regardless of their condition. If they were coming out VERY easily I would definitely be replacing the seals. Same goes with if they were really difficult to move. The toughest part is pulling the piston square to the caliper, so that you can get a feel for it.

It's an easy enough job to do if you have patience and an idea of how to use a ratchet. If you were stripping them apart you would be as well fitting new seals and covers/pins etc. Just ticks another job off the list IMO.

If you have old unrefurbished calipers whether their j spec or uk spec the outer seals will be on the verge of failing.

At the very least i'd take the pads out and be giving them a serious clean whilst on the car with brake cleaner and a brush, if their working as they should i'd remove the outer seal or boot and replace that.

Its when this outer seal gets a hole in it or it splits that you get trouble with pistons seizing on both uk and j spec calipers, their easy enough to change, these seals are arrowed in my pic of the calipers in

post number 16

One thing i wouldn't do is fit old seals on anything, no matter what it was as that doesnt make any sense to me especially as their not exactly lots of money.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

The calipers are currently attached to the car, but I'm waiting for some braided hoses to arrive so I'll be removing them anyway. I have new pads already too.

Whether I paint or powdercoat them, it'll be done with them detached from the car. If I'm replacing those master seals I guess I might just as well replace all the seals.

Will a wore brush get old paint off do you think? Or will I need some kind of paint stripper?

If you go at it for long enough it will. If you are stripping the caliper bare and making sure to give it a good clean inside and out then paint stripper should be fine, I would be tank dipping the halves after that though.

Do you not want to just smooth down and paint over what is already there? Granted you don't want 20 coats of hammerite on your calipers but if you rub it down a fair degree with some elbow grease there is no reason you couldn't.

hi scott, if we remove the seals (dust seals) for the pistons, but leave the bore seal in place do we just replace the dust seal?

Theoretically yes but I would always replace the piston seal, it is the most important one afterall. If you are buying the UK refurb kit then it all comes in the one pack anyway.

If your going to the trouble of taking them off the car and stripping them i'd be getting them media blasted and doing a proper job on them.

That's definitely a good shout (or chemically stripped), but that's easy enough for us with access to such cabs. It's not so easy for people who don't know people in the industry or have access themselves.

It's a lot of hassle and expense to get it done legitimately.

That's definitely a good shout (or chemically stripped), but that's easy enough for us with access to such cabs. It's not so easy for people who don't know people in the industry or have access themselves.

It's a lot of hassle and expense to get it done legitimately.

I wouldn't chemically strip unless your splitting the 2 halves (if their uk spec) as the chemical could get at the 2 seals, cant see anyone charging huge amounts to media blast them and its not really a big hassle. Just a bit of leg work finding somewhere.

I wouldn't chemically strip unless your splitting the 2 halves (if their uk spec) as the chemical could get at the 2 seals, cant see anyone charging huge amounts to media blast them and its not really a big hassle. Just a bit of leg work finding somewhere.

Oh yeah, definitely need to be split for that. It's a good excercise though, means you can give the bolts a good clean etc too. I went with fully stripped & blasted calipers painted red on the outside, black on the inside (other than the mating faces of course) with black bolts and black bolt washer clips & pins etc.

If you do the stripping, plugging and masking yourself it would be fairly cheap. Other than that it would be quite pricey IMO. We used to charge a fair old whack for that sort of work, even though once ready to go it only takes 5 mins per half.

Guest wantthatone

thats really helpfull guys, so refreshing to get some decent responses for a change... one last question, is it a good idea to re seal as a diy mechanic? or to get it done by some one quallified

thats really helpfull guys, so refreshing to get some decent responses for a change... one last question, is it a good idea to re seal as a diy mechanic? or to get it done by some one quallified

There isn't any sealing involved bud. When you put the 2 calipers back together the only thing between them is a little o ring seal, you don't need to use any sealant or anything like that. Just make sure it is in place and everything is clean, then carefully put the 2 halves together making sure the seal doesn't move. It's a piss case really.

Unless your chemically stripping them i'd leave them bolted together and just have them media blasted, if your powder coating them its easy and cheap to get some bolts and screw them into all the threads and mask off the area where the pistons and brake pads are.

Hand paint this area in high temp paint after powder coating.

Heres a pic of a pair i did this way masked up ready to go, all you need to do is pull masking tape when the calipers come out the over as it comes off very easily then and remove the bolts which keeps the p/c out the threads.

Then give them a good clean, blow through with an airline, replace seals, pistons etc job done.

calipers 008.jpg