The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Head work

Alex

Alex  

I will ask my local guy if he is interested.

He is good does alot of race work for guys in the USA.

His work is of a very  high standard, he is a perfectionist.

When I got the Supra the first thing he said was he could improve it  for me.

He has not  been working  for a while after a major illness.

(Edited by Phil Wall at 10:02 pm on Mar. 5, 2002)

Quote: from Alex Holdroyd on 9:31 pm on Mar. 5, 2002[br]I asked a while a go with limited success.

Where can I go for general cylinder head work??

Port/polish/gas flowed/oversized valve integration....doesn't matter where they are in the country.

Our head man is good and thorough, he'll do it no problem. In fact he does the heads for the BTCC Lexus race car... What he isn't is cheap, but the gear he has is state of the art, together with the experience to use it. He will match ports to manifolds, de burr and radius ports to valve seats, 3 angle valve job and re guide if required and re shim afterwards.

Quote: from Alex Holdroyd on 8:14 am on Mar. 6, 2002[br]Gulp!

£2k for the Jun vavle train and seperate oversized valves and

about 10k to fit it!!! :(

...where did that lottery ticket go??.....

People need to remember, even a Skyline engine, which is a tecnically better engine, will cost £40,000 to build into a genuine 700 + BHP engine. Hell, a Cossie Sierra giving 500, for which bits are (relatively) common will cost  £20,000 plus.

The exhaust port on the Supra is fairly restrictive. and will only take advantage of 8mm of lift. The JUN cams I want have 10.8mm of lift no point getting them if the car can't use them!!

Plus I would have to use oversized valves which need to matched into the head...

+ all that stuff that chris said!!

Alex, my friend Nick was more seriously I'll than I thought. He has had to retire and is moving to a warmer climate.  He is selling up and  going very soon.   Sorry can't help you.  Bit  of a blow as I was getting a spare head for him to work on when he got better.

Guest Mycroft

Fit a 1JZ head, it is better than the 2JZ in every way, the flow is better and the shape and quality of the finish is higher!

Don't believe me?, get the Hyper-rev mags translated and you will see that I'm right, they all use 1JZ heads and 2JZ blocks to gain capacity, according to hyper-rev no one (after 400hp+) uses the 2JZ head in Japan.

According to these wonderful books it is good for 40hp with nothing else but the fuelling optimised. How good is that!

Guest Mycroft

Sorry, lack of clarity.

The 500+hp Soarers in Japan get the 2JZ block but keep the 1JZ head, this way they get 3000cc and the high flow head, the book says that the 1JZ has 8% better flow rates at any given pressure.

That seems a huge amount to me, so I'll check... it's on my lap, and on page 152 it says it again so I think that figure may be right!

mycroft,

u really r a mine of unusual / quirky tuning solutions and info :). 1jz head on 2jz block - never heard of it, the fuel stuff, the bfi, suspension stuff. where do u get it all from?

dont take this the wrong way, its not intended as a put down. im impressed keep up the "shocking" good work :)

Quote: from Phil Wall on 10:14 pm on Mar. 6, 2002[br]They had to do something with them as they had about 15,000 to shift:biggrin:

ROFL!!! :biggrin:

So where can I source a 1JZ head from? Which cars were they fitted to?

If you race prepped a 1jz and a 2jz head which one would ultimately have the best result - airflow, power, response...ie which head has the most potential???

(Edited by Alex Holdroyd at 10:18 pm on Mar. 6, 2002)

....geeesh you people think far too far ahead!

I'll be upping the fueling first - UK kit + the possibility of an AIC (additional injector harness and controller) + a S-AFC + VPC + GCC (possibly)....

Unless the AEM ECU or other gets a shift on and is proven to be reliable

Guest Mycroft

I come from a family of petrolheads, my Great (great?) grand father owned the first registered car in Bristol!

My uncle Bill was a developement engineer for Jaguar in the 50's and one of the road testers  for the XK series and actually drove the Le Mans winning D-types (all of them) in their testing regime, he held the Unofficial A44 factory challenge race (on public roads) record and was unbeaten against the all comers including all the Le mans drivers, one of my other uncles was responsible for the RR/Bentley V8 change over in the 50's too, my whole family has run fast cars, I learned to drive a 3.4 Mk2 Jag that put out a genuine 300hp, I was 14 years old!

My entire family owned more Jags, Astons, Bristols and Bentleys than is 'proper' for a normal family, in fact my entire family are engineers of one sort or another, so it sort of runs in the blood!

The present 'tech' guy at the Bentley forum is my cousin and I do a bit here and there on various forum.

I have been involved in the industry myself (but on the periphery) and I am still invited to the pre-launch Tyre testing days as I'm an advisor to the Tyre Technology Group (I know a bit about tyres) I always go!

Scary ain't it!

The Soarer is the first Japanese sports car I ever owned. I think it is the best car I have ever owned.

Bah who cares, it was interesting...

Almost as interesting as Alex finding the 20k for all this work... probably a loooooooooong term project :biggrin:

Mycroft, put that in your profile :)

Back on thread...

So Alex have you discounted Pauls ECU? Since it seems he'll have that ready before AEM's get theres from Vapourware Inc. Plus Options insist they can remap the Mines units anyway, so that's a stop gap... if not as cool as one you can do from a laptop.

Why not just get one of the race / street heads from PHR, they're "only" ~$10k, but i'll bet they're good stuff.