The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What's Toyota's rate?

Attero

Wow...thsi has got heated hasn't it.......I'm workshop controller at a Toyota dealer, i also own a Supra, I have to admit, yeah, we are expensive, £90 per hour for newer vehicles and a lower rate for older cars.

After being on the shop floor here for 7 years, i can honestly say hand on heart, I do my very best to make sure the quality of work performed is very high quality. As I write this I currently have a GT4 on a ramp with the gearbox out to rectify a fault caused by a "cheaper garage"! Basically he had a clutch replaced at a back street garage for £150 plus parts, since having the work done he has an ABS lamp on and is unable to select gears smoothly. The other garage told him that is was a gearbox fault seperate to the repair work carried out so he brought the car to us......on inspection we found that the abs sensor had been damaged (stretched) by not removing it when the shafts removed, also the clutch release bearing had been fitted incorrectly and cocked over damaging his "Genuine" clutch they supplied (it was a e bay special). So we're not charging him £280 labout plus the parts to fix all these faults.

What I'm trying to get at is, you get what you pay for....if we had made said mistakes, i'm pretty sure the car would of been fixed free of charge, and all our parts carry a 12 month warranty (with exceptions).

Please don't think that I'm saying all other smaller gargages are toss.....cause I'm not....I know loads of really talented and respected mechanics....I just wanted to put over my opinion...

Hope I added some food for thought....

Chris

I have to agree on this. You have to understand what is behind the crank pulley bud. One of the most common failures in that neck of the woods is the front main seal. It's a rubber seal just in front of the oil pump..... rubber & extreme heat don't mix. I wouldn't be shocked if you found you started to get oil leaking from the front any time soon.

I'm thinking about the work to do a job like that on my own. To do it properly would take a fair bit of time so for them to quote £15 they MAY have been just trying to get a new customer on board.

When there was a Toyota dealership in Croxley Green (Hertfordshire) a couple of years ago, I drove there for something (maybe a part?) and some of the salesmen & mechanics came out and stared at my Supe.

Wow that's great they said.

What is it?

Generally speaking - I wouldn't go near Toyota to work on my Toyota.

Ahahah that is just ridiculous.

When there was a Toyota dealership in Croxley Green (Hertfordshire) a couple of years ago, I drove there for something (maybe a part?) and some of the salesmen & mechanics came out and stared at my Supe.

Wow that's great they said.

What is it?

Generally speaking - I wouldn't go near Toyota to work on my Toyota.

sorry but that post just made me burst out laughing and now everyone in the office is looking at me :)

Wow...thsi has got heated hasn't it.......I'm workshop controller at a Toyota dealer, i also own a Supra, I have to admit, yeah, we are expensive, £90 per hour for newer vehicles and a lower rate for older cars....

Please don't think that I'm saying all other smaller gargages are toss.....cause I'm not....I know loads of really talented and respected mechanics....I just wanted to put over my opinion...

Hope I added some food for thought....

Chris

Fair comment :)

If I drove a newer model and more importantly, if as part of the warranty I needed to go to Toyota, then of course I would go to Mr T.

Ahahah that is just ridiculous.

It did tickle me to be honest:D

sorry but that post just made me burst out laughing and now everyone in the office is looking at me :)

I'd like to apologise to all of your work chums. I don't want them to think you're having another funny turn :D

Just got the car back and asked about what they had to do.

There was no heating involved, so I don't know where I got that idea from. They simply just cut a very small piece into the bolt and it cracked the bolt open. Enough for the crank pulley to become loose. The bolt was about £7 and the seal was even cheaper. So the rest was labour. They charged me for only 2 hours work - so their rate was roughly £25-30 an hour.