The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Alarm certificate for insurers

Scooter

Firstly i'm off out so won't reply until tomorrow......

I'm after info on whether you have had to provide a certificate of installation of your alarm/immobiliser to your insurers.

I'm also after info on whether anyone has had to get one on an already installed system.

Basically mine was fitted back in 1997/8, I didn't need one last year but my new insurers want one.

Options at the moment are switching back to old (or other insurers) getting a certificate sorted or going back to Purity's classic car policy idea (not ideal for me mileage etc wise but doable)

Any info appreciated, cheers

Never been asked yet. I told my insurer that I had fitted a Cat1 alarm system and they said nothing. I didn't get a discount either, like you used to with cat1 systems. I don't even bother mentioning it now to be honest.

Is your alarm system a Cat1? The reason I ask is that you will automatically get a certificate when it is fitted, if you haven't got a cat1 then getting a certificate is going to be tricky..... I don't think they come with lesser alarms, and I also don't think insurers take them into consideration.

Had to get a Cat 1 alarm fitted to get insurance when I picked mine up from the garage. I paid the garage to fit a Clifford Alarm and received a certificate.

The certificate wasn't filled in correctly and the insurance company refused to accept it!:( The garage was in Bradford, so hardly worth chasing them up.

I had to pay £20 for a confirmation of installation certificate from an auto electrician in Glasgow, a 180 mile round trip!:rolleyes:

I had to scan a copy of my certificate, and e-mail it to my insurer (Adrian Flux) I was apparently given a discount for my Cat 1 system. But how do you actually know. I think they just make it up as they go along, when they come to insurance quotes. It's a gravy train.

It just annoys me that i'll have to pay to get some guy to effectively press the key fob/plug a machine in etc and fill me out a form.....when every morning, whenever I stop at a garage etc etc I know it works........and if I had the certificate from 1998 that would be good enough and yet it proves nothing about whether its operational over 10 years later!

Both Sky and Adrian flux requested to see the installation certificate on my car

Yeah, but with Adrian Flux you can have them email you the disclaimer just to say you have one installed, sign it and send it back to them. You can also take the car into a Garage and have it checked and signed for.