The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hey Guys, Thinking about a Supra

Guest Shammy

How often do they go wrong? I don't want to spend a lot on repairs! Oh and how often often do they have to be serviced?

I will be okay money wise, if the repairs don't cost too much!

It all depends, I got my first N/A when I was 19 and loved it, it's not a slow car by any means but it was still very twitchy in the wet(I came backwards off a roundabout the first time I drove it in the wet :D) I got to learn the car and got me a TT6 at the beginning of the year, I am glad I got the N/A first as it allowed me to learn how the car reacted in certain situations and at 22 I'm now a sensible driver (kind of:innocent:)

However, in terms of running costs it really does depend, I spent £14k in my first year of ownership, but I was rather unlucky and I did do a tad more than 80 miles every week in it(although I think that figure might of included about £4k's worth of mods) so I spent about £10k. I now have other cars to use during the week though and it costs me bugger all in maintenance :D

How often do they go wrong? I don't want to spend a lot on repairs! Oh and how often often do they have to be serviced?

I will be okay money wise, if the repairs don't cost too much!

Kept mine as a N/A for about 3/4years.. only a couple of mods (Air filter and exhaust) Had no problems on running it as a daily drive (And mine is a 93 jspec and it was 20 miles return trip into london each weekday) had a full service and mot done at a good garage once a year around feb, and also a little check/service just to check levels and filters etc just before winter kicked in again..

Now i am TT i check the levels filters etc once a month or so and top up the fluids, never had to do this with the NA..

If you get a decent one, and look after the N/A and it will go for ages..

other than the service (inc fluid/filters etc) i didn't have to pay out on the engine at all in those few years..

It all depends, I got my first N/A when I was 19 and loved it, it's not a slow car by any means but it was still very twitchy in the wet(I came backwards off a roundabout the first time I drove it in the wet :D) I got to learn the car and got me a TT6 at the beginning of the year, I am glad I got the N/A first as it allowed me to learn how the car reacted in certain situations and at 22 I'm now a sensible driver (kind of:innocent:)

However, in terms of running costs it really does depend, I spent £14k in my first year of ownership, but I was rather unlucky and I did do a tad more than 80 miles every week in it(although I think that figure might of included about £4k's worth of mods) so I spent about £10k. I now have other cars to use during the week though and it costs me bugger all in maintenance :D

Holy moly, £14k!!!! And you got your first one at 19? Awesome! I take it you have a fairly decent job/money then?! Do you remmeber how much you spent on fuel each week by any chance mate?

My income is about £400 a month, I don't smoke or drink so I do save quite a bit of it, especially being a student and living at home :D

Awesome, I wouldn't expect it to cost too much on mentainance as it is a Toyota, even my ZR hasn't cost me much over the year I have owned it!

Kept mine as a N/A for about 3/4years.. only a couple of mods (Air filter and exhaust) Had no problems on running it as a daily drive (And mine is a 93 jspec and it was 20 miles return trip into london each weekday) had a full service and mot done at a good garage once a year around feb, and also a little check/service just to check levels and filters etc just before winter kicked in again..

Now i am TT i check the levels filters etc once a month or so and top up the fluids, never had to do this with the NA..

If you get a decent one, and look after the N/A and it will go for ages..

other than the service (inc fluid/filters etc) i didn't have to pay out on the engine at all in those few years..

Awesome mate cheers, just what I wanted to hear! I wasn't sure if most people here just has it as a weekend toy, so I didn't want to be kicking myself in the balls by buying it as a daily driver! I only do about 4k miles a year.

I need to get rid of my ZR in order to get one, I might try take it to a garage to P/X it.

I take it the Supras hold their value a decent amount? My ZRs value is falling like crazy, I paid almost £4k for it exactly a year ago and it's now worth about £2750 :(

Holy moly, £14k!!!! And you got your first one at 19? Awesome! I take it you have a fairly decent job/money then?! Do you remmeber how much you spent on fuel each week by any chance mate?

My income is about £400 a month, I don't smoke or drink so I do save quite a bit of it, especially being a student and living at home :D

Awesome, I wouldn't expect it to cost too much on mentainance as it is a Toyota, even my ZR hasn't cost me much over the year I have owned it!

I was just lucky, I had a good job for my age, but I did spend most of my income on the car, I was spending about £80-90 a week in petrol as I had quite a long distance commute for work so I was doing a few hundred miles each week, so that was about £4k in petrol, then there was my insurance which iirc was £2.2k, but then I was really unlucky and I think I managed to top the record for the most unreliable N/A supra :D:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=165937

I was just lucky, I had a good job for my age, but I did spend most of my income on the car, I was spending about £80-90 a week in petrol as I had quite a long distance commute for work so I was doing a few hundred miles each week, so that was about £4k in petrol, then there was my insurance which iirc was £2.2k, but then I was really unlucky and I think I managed to top the record for the most unreliable N/A supra :D:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=165937

God that is a lot of stuff going wrong, I would have had to get rid well before the time it came to an engine change!

£80-90 a week on fuel, christ, how many miles were you doing?

Thinking about it, I don't really do more than 70 miles a week so how much do you think that would cost in fuel? £25?

Guest Supra24ellis

i'll just chuck my 2 cents in. i was the same as you... always wanted a supra i had 3000 pounds to spend and managed to get a clean and tidy looking one however most of them like you said are auto non turbos. but who cares its your first time and mine of having a pretty dammn quick'ish car still and you might get lucky and find a decent one. im paying quite a bit on insurance but its been worth it so far and i've only had it a week.

Guest Supra24ellis

i better just also say my supra is mostly for the weekend and if i want a blitz during the week as i have a company car. So the petrol bill is not that much at the moment.

God that is a lot of stuff going wrong, I would have had to get rid well before the time it came to an engine change!

£80-90 a week on fuel, christ, how many miles were you doing?

Thinking about it, I don't really do more than 70 miles a week so how much do you think that would cost in fuel? £25?

Don't worry, N/A's are generally very reliable and usually, quite cheap to fix.

I think my N/A(it was manual btw, autos are slightly worse on the MPG) I was doing around 250 miles to £50-£60,

I did an MPG calculator on an N/A auto I have here at the moment and it worked out at around 23-24mpg and that was a mix of country lanes, around town and dual carrigeway.

i'll just chuck my 2 cents in. i was the same as you... always wanted a supra i had 3000 pounds to spend and managed to get a clean and tidy looking one however most of them like you said are auto non turbos. but who cares its your first time and mine of having a pretty dammn quick'ish car still and you might get lucky and find a decent one. im paying quite a bit on insurance but its been worth it so far and i've only had it a week.

Thanks mate, yeah I can get insured on a Twin Turbo for £30 more but wouldn't be able to afford to run it I don't think. N/A is fine for me!

Don't worry, N/A's are generally very reliable and usually, quite cheap to fix.

I think my N/A(it was manual btw, autos are slightly worse on the MPG) I was doing around 250 miles to £50-£60,

I did an MPG calculator on an N/A auto I have here at the moment and it worked out at around 23-24mpg and that was a mix of country lanes, around town and dual carrigeway.

Awesome. I will only be doing town driving, very rarely leave the town, also I live up on a hill/gradient so my MPG has been worse even in my ZR compared to other people with the same one. I'd be expecting about 20mpg tbh, I've been getting around 28mpg in my ZR.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest supragirl89
i better just also say my supra is mostly for the weekend and if i want a blitz during the week as i have a company car. So the petrol bill is not that much at the moment.

What kinda company car you got mate??

Guest supragirl89
well.. when i say car what i should have said is van lol... hey i see ur in devon im down there quite a bit

i should hope u are down here abit seein ur missis lol (me) :) xxx

Welcome to the club :)

I think I spend about £200 a month on fuel (Mine is a TT) & I don't drive it much! Plus next weekend planning on driving the Supra to France!

Mine drives fine in the wet, I have even had a quick go in the snow & its fine as long as you are sensible. Same thing with when it is really wet, as long as you sensible with the throttle, you'd be fine.