The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Performance exhaust

mobsta_01

If you - or someone else - can tell me exactly how to measure the dB level, i.e., distance and angle from exhaust tip, engine rpm and the weighting setting of the sound level meter; then I can certainly get you an accurate dB reading of a double decat with the Tanabe Medallion Touring.

Weighting setting should be general noise rather than human hearing, it's the quieter of the settings anyway. Engine should be held at 4500 rpm.

The meter should be held about 50 cm from the exhaust but at about 45 degrees angle above and to the side, kind of pointing diagonally down to it.

It would be awesome if you could get a reading from it :thumbs:

Weighting setting should be general noise rather than human hearing, it's the quieter of the settings anyway. Engine should be held at 4500 rpm.

The meter should be held about 50 cm from the exhaust but at about 45 degrees angle above and to the side, kind of pointing diagonally down to it.

It would be awesome if you could get a reading from it :thumbs:

OK then, I'll try and get the dB figure for you within the next 24 hours.

...Do you have any db measurements for the tanabe? I am either going to have to put a cat back on or switch exhausts.

The Tanabe Medallion Touring on a UK Spec with double 3" decats, at 4500rpm, measured 50cm away from exhaust tip at 45° to side and 45° above = 97dB in an open area.

HTH,

Steve.

The Tanabe Medallion Touring on a UK Spec with double 3" decats, at 4500rpm, measured 50cm away from exhaust tip at 45° to side and 45° above = 97dB in an open area.

HTH,

Steve.

Just come to put the level meter away and I noticed it was set to 'C' weighting. I'm really not sure if was set to 'C' when I took the reading above or not; it should have been set to 'A' weighting.

I'll check the level again when I get chance just to make sure, but it is obviously a maximum 97dB at 4500rpm - and it could possibly be lower if I had the sound level meter on the wrong setting...

I've taken the noise reading again Neil and I did have the level meter on the wrong setting last night - well, it was raining at the time!

The Tanabe Medallion Touring (with double 3" decats) is 82dB at 4500rpm on the 'A' weighting setting. This reading was taken at the angle and distance you previously specified.

Maybe the other setting was actually correct, that sounds a bit too quiet.

On ebay theres a company that will export one for $627 / £406. With VAT and shipping it shouldnt be much over £500 so may take a look at them, also waiting for quotes back from some UK suppliers as well. :)

I checked elsewhere on the Internet and it would seem that the 'A' weighting setting for testing exhaust noise is the correct one to use.

The 'C' setting is mainly used for audio systems and covers a much wider frequency response - hence the higher dB figure on that setting.

When I went from two cats and the standard Toyota exhaust system to the Tanabe with the two 3" decats, I was really very surprised how quiet it was; there didn't seem that much difference at all...

Hello all,

i've been looking at llots of aftermarket exhausts and am not sure which one i should get. I know some are louder than others, but are there any which are better for power/performance than others?

Also i was wondering is it necessary to get an aftermarket exhaust if i wish to go bpu or can i fit decat pipes to my stock exhaust?

Copy Paste theory

(Note that the J-spec wastegate on the first turbo is smaller in diameter then the export Mkiv TT which has a 30mm wastegate.)

What size exhaust pipe diameter should I install?

If you have an NA then I would use a mandrel bent (bends where the pipe diameter is maintained) 2½" (65mm) system and I would use a 3" (75mm) to 3½" (90mm) system on the TT depending on how loud you want the car to be. Also with the TT you have to consider how much backpressure you have in the rest of your exhaust system, as too little backpressure will allow the boost to run away. This can happen because the single wastegate on the #1 turbo is not large enough by itself to control boost pressure but relies on exhaust backpressure to help keep the boost under control.

What's all this talk about downpipes on the TT?

The downpipe is considered to be approx. the first 3ft (1m) of exhaust pipe straight after the turbos. On the stock mkiv, this includes the first cat. The size of the downpipe diameter determines to a large extent how much backpressure your exhaust system can generate. Have this pipe too large and you will get runaway boost. Around 3" diameter is generally the maximum you can get away with on a TT but it does depend on whether you have any cats in the exhaust system.

What should I do about the Cats?

If you are legally allowed to, then you will get the best performance by removing them entirely. If you have to legally have them, then install high flow cats that match your exhaust pipe diameter. However, I have heard of people who "gut" the cats out making them into a straight pipe on the inside. This would not be easy on the mkiv Supra as the material inside the cats is pretty strong and would require alot of chiseling to get it out and you would then have trouble passing emmision controls with them removed.

Which muffler size and type is best?

A straight through muffler generally gives the least backpressure and hence the best power for your car. I use a 3½" In-Out Borla muffler on my TT 6 speed with a 3½" exhaust system. A slight variation on this is the Flow Master muffler which splits the exhaust flow with a high airflow divider and then rejoins it at the rear of the muffler. This design also offers minimal backpressure. Also, the muffler inlet and exhaust pipe sizes should match the diameter of your exhaust piping for best results. To reduce droning from the exhaust system you will need a resonator (with the same inlet and outlet diameter as your exhaust system) installed as well. The resonator is a small straight through muffer, usually installed half way between the engine and the tailpipe.

Should I remove the stock dual exhaust pipes before the muffler?

There is no flow advantages from maintaining the dual factory setup and if you are installing a complete new exhaust system then I would definitely remove them. They only add extra weight and complexity to the exhaust system.

PS Check the TRD High Response exhaust,produces a nice sound but not to loud