The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance South of Ireland

Jellybean

Fair play to you mate, i wish my renewal was as straight forward as that:(. Makes my blood boil everytime i go insurance shopping. Is that quote for your own policy or are you a named driver on someone elses policy? How much ncb have you got?

28 , 7 years NCB, 7 years full License, Insurance in Own Name, no Penalty Points

First Time ever Insurance was straight Forward, normally just a Big Fat NO and stress

I am with Nononsense.ie (underwritten by AXA) and I pay just over 600 Euro.

Did you put your profession down as Illegal Street Racer?

I've heard of a few people removing the rear seats and insuring and taxing the Supra as Commercial.

AFAIK it's barely legal and I'd imagine you'd be leaving yourself open to trouble if you went that route.

It is being done though and they seem to be getting away with it.

Did you put your profession down as Illegal Street Racer?

I've heard of a few people removing the rear seats and insuring and taxing the Supra as Commercial.

AFAIK it's barely legal and I'd imagine you'd be leaving yourself open to trouble if you went that route.

It is being done though and they seem to be getting away with it.

I am in the middle of researching this as a possible route but it is proving extremely difficult. Any insurance company i have tried refuses to cover the supra as a commercial ( presumably as it was never available as one ). To tax a commercial vehicle you must produce your COMMERCIAL insurance policy at the tax office.

I am in the middle of researching this as a possible route but it is proving extremely difficult. Any insurance company i have tried refuses to cover the supra as a commercial ( presumably as it was never available as one ). To tax a commercial vehicle you must produce your COMMERCIAL insurance policy at the tax office.

AFAIK, you have to convert it, i.e. remove the back seats and the rest of it.

Then you have to get it DOE tested.

Then you can get it re-registered as a commercial vehicle.

Then you insure it and after that you can tax it.

People have done it but it wouldn't be for me.

Say you crash coming home from a wedding wearing a suit.

How're you going to explain that as commercial use?

Some people this side of the border insure through the NFU (National Farmers Union) at decent prices, I'm not sure if National means NI or the whole of Ireland but it might be worth checking out as a potential option.

Last time I checked NFU were only taking business from the North.

Plus they wanted proof that I was a part time farmer.

Some people this side of the border insure through the NFU (National Farmers Union) at decent prices, I'm not sure if National means NI or the whole of Ireland but it might be worth checking out as a potential option.

FBD is the equivlent down here Jim but once you try to purchase the policy usual; Car cant be high performance blah blah

Thanks for the tip though

For Commercial Supra Conversion in Ireland we have a thread if its any use to you; in short the Police turn a blind eye to people using commercials outside of 9am-1700;if everybody starts converting cars as per what is happening in the last few months , Police are now clamping down

It is a loophole getting closed , but come across a checkpoint with a Supra and Commercial Tax; you will be on the back of a flatbed to the impound; one or two of the guys in rural Ireland are getting away with it but up in any major City not a chance

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=226821&highlight=commercial

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

AFAIK, you have to convert it, i.e. remove the back seats and the rest of it.

Then you have to get it DOE tested.

Then you can get it re-registered as a commercial vehicle.

Then you insure it and after that you can tax it.

People have done it but it wouldn't be for me.

Say you crash coming home from a wedding wearing a suit.

How're you going to explain that as commercial use?

You're close enough there yes, but it has to be re-registered as commercial Before you get it DOE'd( DOE test is only a minor detail once car is in any fair condition ). If the car is then on the system as a commercial vehicle, no insurance company will cover it as they do not recognise the supra as commercial. If you ''forget'' to tell them, and insure it as a standard car, in the event of an accident as you say they will most likely not cover you as it will have been a commercial vehicle. There is one alternative however...........

Wammo, 700 Euro fully Comp on the Supra with Axa, rang One Direct underwritten by Aviva and best they could do was 1350 from 1700

I know they have a new Stadium to pay for and a few Corporate boxes but would you come on, you are having a Giraffe

Is this online or over the phone?