The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance Comparison Sites and Wrong Car Details

Fitz

I'm pretty sure this subject has sprung up before on here but it leaves me baffled as to why it happens.

As my insurance just came up for renewal and hearing a few members were insured with Bell, Admiral or Elephant I thought I would try to see what prices they would quote.

Now, the V5 document to the Supra states it is a '94 model with a 2,997cc engine. However, on a few of these comparison sites it either comes up as a 2007 Toyota Supra, Turbo, Manual, or a Mkiii Manual Turbo with 2,954cc IIRC, these come from when filling in the 'Do You Know The Registration Of The Vehicle' box, The car itself is actually a 1994 Supra SZ Non Turbo Automatic.

I can understand the 2007 part as that is when it was imported into the UK. However, as the DVLA have put 1994 as 'Date of First Use' and branded it on an 'L' plate, surely the insurers would take the information from there?

Obviously I'm not the first nor last person who has experienced this problem, I'm just curious to why it happens?

This happened with me with Direct Line a couple of years ago. The website came up with Supra, I paid no attention to the detail, paid the premium and got the certificate.

Three months later I got a phone call from them asking for detail about the car. I said it was a twin turbo, they said I was only insured for a NA but that is wasn't my fault. They then quoted double the premium, I knew I could get it cheaper elsewhere, they gave me the full twelve months premium back and I went elsewhere.

I think I effectively got three months insurance for free but I don't know what would have happened if I had made a claim in that time. I never did find out why they called three months after I took out the policy.

This happened with me with Direct Line a couple of years ago. The website came up with Supra, I paid no attention to the detail, paid the premium and got the certificate.

Three months later I got a phone call from them asking for detail about the car. I said it was a twin turbo, they said I was only insured for a NA but that is wasn't my fault. They then quoted double the premium, I knew I could get it cheaper elsewhere, they gave me the full twelve months premium back and I went elsewhere.

I think I effectively got three months insurance for free but I don't know what would have happened if I had made a claim in that time. I never did find out why they called three months after I took out the policy.

You are lucky, they could have "refused you car insurance" on the new car (or the same car with when the truth of what it was came to light).

If this happens when you apply for car insurance elsewhere you must declare that you have been refused insurance, and your premium will double anyway as a result.

Exod. 23:7 - Keep thee far from a false matter; and the innocent and righteous slay thou not: for I will not justify the wicked.

That passage is from Exodus, where Jesus got his first car and didnt declare his modifications, and didnt even read the covernote to confirm what his car was.

Judas, one of his friends - actually grassed him in 3 months later out of jealousy, and Direct Line cruicified him for falsification.

Better to be honest with insurance.

You are lucky, they could have "refused you car insurance" on the new car (or the same car with when the truth of what it was came to light).

If this happens when you apply for car insurance elsewhere you must declare that you have been refused insurance, and your premium will double anyway as a result.

Exod. 23:7 - Keep thee far from a false matter; and the innocent and righteous slay thou not: for I will not justify the wicked.

That passage is from Exodus, where Jesus got his first car and didnt declare his modifications, and didnt even read the covernote to confirm what his car was.

Judas, one of his friends - actually grassed him in 3 months later out of jealousy, and Direct Line cruicified him for falsification.

:rlol:

and their software should be better............no one with a 94 on supra should be covered as a Mkiii. No Mkiii can have a L reg or later and so its poor that you can enter (as I have done)....toyota, supra, 3.0L, NA L*** WOW and end up not receiving a premuim and cover for a Mkiv

I acknowledge the divine rebuke, but Direct Line admitted it was their fault and were happy to insure the car, albeit at an uncompetitive premium.

Thanks for the headsup on Judas, it was probably him who got me into trouble when I told the magistrates that I didn't know who was driving when the speed camera went off.

and their software should be better............no one with a 94 on supra should be covered as a Mkiii. No Mkiii can have a L reg or later and so its poor that you can enter (as I have done)....toyota, supra, 3.0L, NA L*** WOW and end up not receiving a premuim and cover for a Mkiv

It sounds like you mad about this?

Things such as this have such little life bearing, why dont you learn to accept some of lifes flaws and move on to something more important.

Personally, when I completed my Insurance quotation recently, it came up as a Twin Turbo. I didnt accept the quote because it asked me if it was correct(I couldnt agree to something that was wrong). I rang up the company and we did it over the phone correctly, whilst speaking to a person.

I got the covernote through the post a couple of days later, it asked me again to confirm the infomation was correct.

I still manage to get by, but I'm taking it each day as it comes.

i think you have got my stress levels all wrong, I only see it as a problem as they always seem to have such a bee in their bonnet about declaring everything and the information supplied being correct in case it invalidates your policy etc etc and yet their system takes this correct information and returns an incorrect policy.

If they are going to have an online site and one stop shop to get cover then it should be free of this sort of error.

I got a quote from admiral for mine, and it came up a 2004 Toyota supra twin turbo, my car is only a 1995 sz NA, but so far it was the cheapest quote ever, I wonder what woul happen if I took the insurance out??

Mine came up on their system as a mkiii supra too. Just give them the correct details and they can change it.