The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just bought UK Supra tt in red, my first supra!!

mcockcroft

Hi Martin, you realy need to have somone have a look at that, it does sound like the oil seals have gone, you may have to get them refurbished, if you do drop myself or "pistonbroke" a line because we have both had ours just done.

Even if you have to get your turbos sorted its still a good price for a UK.

Hallo and welcome, this is the place to be if you own a Supra, there is so much information here, make sure you do a good search for things before asking questions though some people can be a bit cutting.

Good luck.

Bob.

Quite right its an automatic, im aware the manuals are like gold dust. With regards to the oil leak, when i picked it up i stopped half way for some food and noticed a burning smell and smoke. I traced it to oil that had run onto the exhaust and was just burning off but as i was on the tarmac checking it out a man came to help. Turned out he was a Supra owner and on this site....what are the odds. Anyways he said that sometimes the rocker cover gasket disintergrate to nothing and leak but tend to run down the whole engine from the top (common problem apparently). After putting it on the ramp im pretty sure he's right and should be an easy fix (new gasket etc) and a good steam clean.

Regarding the turbos i think they are in need of reconditioning and ill not use it until they are sorted.

I have a motorhome business, 3 ramps and an ex toyota technician 10 years toyota trained, and he's been around the block a few times with supras!!!!! (partly the reason why i bought it) so im in a very fortunate position. It was still cheap i think and if it needs a few £££££ spending then ill do it because im going to keep it for a long time.

Ill get pics on soon so you guys can see it, thanks for all the help so far, its a great site!

Bob b i may take you up on the offer of advice for the turbo's cos i think thats the way it will go, roughly how much was it to have them refurbished and who did it for you

cheers to all

Martin

scooter its not been decatted and yes dripping off the underside but still investigating!!!

Ah ok........re the decat it was just that if it was, you can try putting the cats back which sometimes stops the turbo seals leaking for a while :)

........Hopefully the leak is just the cam cover gasket, well worth getting the car running leak free before tackling the turbo's IMO just incase there is more to that than meets the eye. Unless the car is a real smoke screen (which sounds unlikely especially when on just the first turbo) then i'd be tempted to fix the leak and use it for while.

I think your probably right regarding sorting the leak first, will probably do cambelt and other general maintennace also (start as i mean to go on). Its not a smoke screen to be honest, it only happened twice on a 120 miles trip with plenty of foot down situations. It never happened when i was accelerating at already high speeds, it happened when i floored it from a low speed ie coming off a roundabout at 25 mph. the small turbo whistled away but when the big turbo kicked in ... smoke everywhere for about 8-9 seconds and then i eased off of course worried i might really knack something up.

I also think the small turbo may have a fault because the power wasnt there straight away, almost feels like theres turbo lag, which from what i understand is what the small turbo is meant to get rid of. Correct me if im wrong on that one.

Thought i should get some pics of my Supra on.

Its a 1994 L reg, Uk version twin turbo. 103000 with nearly full history. Only bought it 4 days ago but chuffed with the condition. Has a bad oil leak from the oil pressure switch, will get it sorted next week. The stupid previous owner either did it himself or got some other monkey to overfill the engine with oil by about 1.5 litres...serious, i also found the oil filter was not tight. But once the oil leak sorted i cant wait to get out and use it. Hopefully there might be some meets up my way east yorkshire.

Martin

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

Hi Martin.

A few people on here have used them, they are C R Turbo Engineering, and they are based in the New Forrest, thier phone number is 01425 638426 and ask to speak to Craig, I think they do a corrier service.

As to price the refurb costs between £650 - £800 depending on how bad they are, then anouther £200 to change all fluids and vac hoses (OEM stuff), and did the work myself.

Give me a PM if you want any more info.

All the best .

Looks lovely.. I love that dash!!!

So she has got a few problems under the bonnet...at the price you paid i hope you have some left over to get her fixed up..and what better way to get to know your car..right from the off.

Good luck with her :)

Only flicked through the thread quickly but it doesn't look like anyone has told you that both turbos are the same size, its a very clever sequential system that gives the impression of a larger second turbo.

I hope you get it sorted :thumbs:

Well Wez i was not aware of that, i did presume that the 2nd was larger, huh you learn something new everyday.

I think at 4800 it was a good purchase for a uk one as they seem to be getting rarer these days. Im not so sure the turbos are knackered, with the silly idiot who serviced it putting over an extra litre of oil in, oil would have tried to get through everywhere and anywhere it could maybe into the exhaust system somehow causing the smoke. Chances are im wrong and that the 2nd turbos fooked but ill sort the oil leak and run it for a bit and see how it goes and enjoy it.

I must say this site has been unbelievably helpful, thanks to all that have commented.

Looks lovely.. I love that dash!!!

So she has got a few problems under the bonnet...at the price you paid i hope you have some left over to get her fixed up..and what better way to get to know your car..right from the off.

Good luck with her :)

Yeah dash looks good, looks better in the flesh, i wasnt sure when i saw it on ebay but up close its quite nice, unusual!

wow does look good. Wish I could have afforded a uk spec. Although all the money I have spent on getting my jspec looking the way I have, I probably could of bought a uk Supe!

Also just out of interest, where can you buy dash sets like that?

really havnt a clue, ive never ever seen one but there must be something on ebay ..surely!!