The mkiv Supra Owners Club

'Future classic' car insurance - very cheap - any issues?

lust2luv

Just doing the annual insurance ring-round. Last year I was paying £345 through A-Plan, but renewal came in at £541! (modded SZ, no change in details). Admiral would do £484, Adrian Flux £390, but just phoned Footman James (Aon) and they offered a "future classic" policy that beats everyone:

£266

fully comp

£200k legal

European cover + Europe-wide breakdown

£100 excess

3,000 mile limit

(£327 for 4,500 limit - I only drive 3-4000 miles pa)

Weird thing is it doesn't use your no claims bonus (of which I've got 9 years) and doesn't provide 3rd party cover on other cars.

Seems almost too good to be true.

Anyone gone with a policy like this?

I'm a named driver on my g/fs policy, so I guess I could drive other cars 3rd party from that?

Any disadvantages I'm not seeing?

What happens if I claim, as I'm not using my no claims (they said I could "park" them for up to 3 years), so presumably I wouldn't lose any years?

Still gotta try Sky...

:looney:

Edited by lust2luv (see edit history)

Weird thing is it doesn't use your no claims bonus (of which I've got 9 years) and doesn't provide 3rd party cover on other cars.

You probably don't accumulate NCB either, but that might not be an issue to you.

I'm a named driver on my g/fs policy, so I guess I could drive other cars 3rd party from that?

I'd be very surprised if you could. AFAIK only the policyholder (not named drivers) can drive other people's cars on a third party basis, and even then not all policies allow the policyholder to do that.

Not bad at all ... last year I paid £850 as insurance premium and this year I got the insurance renewed a couple of months ago, adding all the new mods it went to £950 with 3 years no claims discount with admiral. Missed out on this company ... :cry::cry:

PS: Mine is a 1991 car and can be called a future classic with no issues. I will be celebrating its 20 years completion in 6 months time ... :cool:

You probably don't accumulate NCB either, but that might not be an issue to you.

Yep - I had a Footman James policy like this a few years ago and was most upset that when the renewal came through it didn't have any no claims added to it. At the time I was trying to build up my NCB from scratch after having ridden bikes for years and lost my car NCB. I felt like I'd wasted a year as when I went to another company I was starting from scratch for a second year in a row!

Do they give you a NCB proof within the 3 years as well? Because I guess if after 3 years you change to a different provider and want to use your 9 years NCB, the only proof you have is the 3 year old certificate from your old provider? I doubt a new company would accept a 3 year old document as proof of NCB?