The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My ICE install (pic heavy)

Stan

Nice choice of equipment but I must say I am not a lover of the install.

I would have gone three way active up front with either a focal or morel setup... And would have saved the cash by not having rear speakers. As they are not really needed.

If spl is your bag all well and good but I am complete sq and aiming the front soundstage would be my priorty lol.

Good overal build mate well done!

Nice choice of equipment but I must say I am not a lover of the install.

I would have gone three way active up front with either a focal or morel setup... And would have saved the cash by not having rear speakers. As they are not really needed.

If spl is your bag all well and good but I am complete sq and aiming the front soundstage would be my priorty lol.

SQ is my bag, and I only put them in because I had them lying around, so I wasn't wasting extra cash on them. I do plan to go active up front (already have a crossover to do it) but need to change my 4 channel amps to (probably) a dual mono, however if you know how expensive genesis amps are, you'll understand why I'm waiting for a bit!!! (the amps alone cost me £1.2k at the mo)

Those front speakers look horrid.

The trimming (which I know is bad at the mo!) or the actual speakers?

The fact that the bracket is just stuck to the door card. Looks out of place. Could they not fit in flush?

Nope, there wouldn't be enough room behind the 5.25" speaker to fit it in flush, and also it would just then be mounted to the doorcard which wouldn't be a solid base. This way the trim ring they are mounted on is then fixed to the existing speaker bracket that is screwed to the door for strength

Nope, there wouldn't be enough room behind the 5.25" speaker to fit it in flush, and also it would just then be mounted to the doorcard which wouldn't be a solid base. This way the trim ring they are mounted on is then fixed to the existing speaker bracket that is screwed to the door for strength

I don't see why not, you've already got another speaker bracket mounted behind your new bracket! And why you would mount the speaker to the door card? Very odd...

I don't see why not, you've already got another speaker bracket mounted behind your new bracket! And why you would mount the speaker to the door card? Very odd...

There is room for the 6.5" speaker where the existing bracket is, but if you want to get another speaker next to it, there is too much metal behind the doorcard to have it mounted flush with the doorcard (which is what I meant when I said mount it to the doorcard)

Stan, I take my :hi: off to you.

Thats a quality build mate and very smart.

Having gone through the nightmare'ish hell known as DIY ICE myself a few years back I can fully appreciate what you have done there.

I like the little fan covers in the boot install. I was going to that myself but gave up.

Well done :)

SQ is my bag, and I only put them in because I had them lying around, so I wasn't wasting extra cash on them. I do plan to go active up front (already have a crossover to do it) but need to change my 4 channel amps to (probably) a dual mono, however if you know how expensive genesis amps are, you'll understand why I'm waiting for a bit!!! (the amps alone cost me £1.2k at the mo)

The trimming (which I know is bad at the mo!) or the actual speakers?

I know of Genesis and have used their amps over the years for various installations in my cars.

Personally I prefer a very simple install either a 2way/3way active front end... with no rears and a single sub (but thats just me).

How are the fronts wired up as it looks like you are running two sets of comps up front with different sized mids.

Depending what front end you want to run, personally I would say the amps you have would suffice for an active setup.

Which crossover will you be using?

Dan

I know of Genesis and have used their amps over the years for various installations in my cars.

Personally I prefer a very simple install either a 2way/3way active front end... with no rears and a single sub (but thats just me).

How are the fronts wired up as it looks like you are running two sets of comps up front with different sized mids.

Depending what front end you want to run, personally I would say the amps you have would suffice for an active setup.

Which crossover will you be using?

Dan

I would ordinarily go with a simpler set up, but thought 'why not' and just went all out this time as I had the money to buy the amps. My last install in my other car was just a single 12", a genesis 4 channel, and genesis components. Yes it sounded great, but after installing the amp in the supra for a temporary fix, I felt something was lacking, so thought I'd just put more speakers in. It certainly is a lot louder and you can't hear wind noise with the windows down (haven't tried it with the roof off yet).

The 6.5" are running bridged off one of the 4 channels, the 5.25" are running off the other 4 channel (which is also powering the rears)

I only ran the larger ones bridged so I had more control over the volume, and matched them to the 5.25" ones so they aren't drowned out.

True, the amps are more than adequate for an active front end, however I'd ideally like a dual mono to give more more control over the speakers.

The crossover is an Alpine 3672, old school crossover which'll do up to 6 way out, so more than enough for me :D

I would ordinarily go with a simpler set up, but thought 'why not' and just went all out this time as I had the money to buy the amps. My last install in my other car was just a single 12", a genesis 4 channel, and genesis components. Yes it sounded great, but after installing the amp in the supra for a temporary fix, I felt something was lacking, so thought I'd just put more speakers in. It certainly is a lot louder and you can't hear wind noise with the windows down (haven't tried it with the roof off yet).

The 6.5" are running bridged off one of the 4 channels, the 5.25" are running off the other 4 channel (which is also powering the rears)

I only ran the larger ones bridged so I had more control over the volume, and matched them to the 5.25" ones so they aren't drowned out.

True, the amps are more than adequate for an active front end, however I'd ideally like a dual mono to give more more control over the speakers.

The crossover is an Alpine 3672, old school crossover which'll do up to 6 way out, so more than enough for me :D

Sounds like you know what you want pal... so goodluck with it.

I change my mind so much on equipment it hardly ever gets fitted to the car anymore... with the Supra it makes me cringe putting more weight into it, one for mpg and the other for performance. lol

Thats one hell of an install there. Looks awsome with the exception of the twin speakers on the front. I had plans for my twin 10" subs but thats just gone out the window after seeing that :(

One thing I would suggest. Trim the front in the same light coloured material you have there already and go over the bolts on the back ones in black paint so they don't stand out so much.

Thats one hell of an install there. Looks awsome with the exception of the twin speakers on the front. I had plans for my twin 10" subs but thats just gone out the window after seeing that :(

One thing I would suggest. Trim the front in the same light coloured material you have there already and go over the bolts on the back ones in black paint so they don't stand out so much.

I do plan on re-doing the doors in the near future, but I just wanted them up and running as it's taken so long to get it all in :D

I also plan on trimming the doorcards in the same black leather so it all matches, easier than finding lighter material, and good idea about the bolts as well (might try and find some caps also and stick some leather to them to hide them better??)